"During" vs "Through"

What is the difference between “during” and “through”? and please show me if there any examples. Thank you so much.

1 Like

sorry i forgot to give examples
these are:
During________“I have a lot of things to do during this week”
Through_______“He has just walked away through this way”

1 Like

Hi NeeSoo

Questions are answered by real people on this site – not by machines. Please also keep in mind that you are requesting a free service. You are not paying anyone to do immediate work for you. You should also remember that many of the volunteers who answer questions here live on the other side of the world. I was sleeping when you posted, for example. Your last post was rather impolite!

It is a good idea to learn and use the correct spelling of the word ‘please’.

The word ‘through’ can be used in reference to both time and place. The word ‘during’ can only be used in reference to time (the duration of something). The word ‘through’ has a sense of ‘from beginning to end’ or ‘from one side to the other side’. When you use the word ‘during’, you might be referring to a shorter period of time that falls within a longer period of time.

• I have to drive through the suburbs of New York City whenever I travel from Connecticut to Pennsylvania.
    - She worked through the day and into the night.
    - He works during the day; he never works at night.
    - I fell asleep during the movie.

You’re welcome. :wink:

1 Like

Thank you very much Amy. You are so kind.
I really feel ashamed from you.
And I’m so sorry for impolite post.
I’ll try to be more polite at next times.

Thank you another time,
Best wishes

NeeeeeeeeeSoooooooooooo

1 Like

So what would you use in the following sentence:

The father brought his little boy to a concert but he was too young to sit ______ the whole concert.

Is ‘during’ or ‘through’ correct, or both? If only one is correct, why?

2 Likes

‘Through’ suggests from start to finish but ‘during’ .
suggests at different times (occasionally) within a certain period.

For example:

The light at the front door stays on through the night - in other words it does not go out.

I heard strange noises outside in the garden during the night - in other words these noises didn’t last the whole night but stopped and started at different times in the night.

2 Likes

Hi Alan,

Would you please take a look at this: DURING | English meaning - Cambridge Dictionary
Is the explanation in the dictionary wrong?

2 Likes

Hi Marc, as Alan said, ‘during’ means that something can happen occasionally within a specific period of time while ‘through’ means that an event or situation happens continually throughout the specified period.

Please let me know if this makes sense.

2 Likes

Yes, Torsten, it does make sense.

1 Like