Due to medical reasons

The MOE did not say what happened in the 17 days between the development of her symptoms and the confirmation of her infection.

However, a ministry spokesman said the girl had not been in school since Jan 2 due to medical reasons.

Is “due to medical reasons” correct"?

Thank you.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s correct but what does ‘the MOE’ mean?

1 Like

Ministry of Education

2 Likes

I would say: “because of medical reasons” rather than “due to medical reasons”. However, they both mean the same.

2 Likes

It’s 100% correct.
You can also use
“… because of medical problems.”
“… due to health issues.” etc.

4 Likes

Gone are the days when we used to avoid ‘due to’ in such situations. Now, in modern English, both are acceptable and treated alike.
[Still, this comparison will be interesting: His absence was due to illness >>> Due to illness his absence was (???). He was absent due to illness. >>> Due to illness he was absent.]

4 Likes

Technically if you want to express the reason for something you would use ‘due to’ in an adjectival sense as in - His illness was due to infected meat. You would use ‘owing to’ in adverbial sense when you explain the reason for an action as in- He became ill owing to the infected meat he ate. In the sentence in the example it should be ‘owing to’.

6 Likes

Thanks to all of you.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing this with us, Alan.

1 Like

We always try to help, K.

Cheers, Marc.

1 Like

My dear colleague, I`m not the ideal person to opine about your doubt relative to the question that you presented, but dare to say to you, even though I am not sure, that the phrase is correct. Sorry, if I am equivocated. Anyway, a virtual and fraternal hug.

2 Likes