double prepositions

I am a native english speaker and have recently moved to another native speaking area however this area seems to have its own form of english and many things here I question or just sound awkward to me.

Commonly prepositions are doubled for example “The remote is in on the couch.”, “The car is up in the driveway”, or “The beer is over in the fridge.” What is grammatically happening here when a double preposition is used? Is there an assumed part missing for example “The remote is in the room on the couch.” or is using a double preposition correct?

[corrected errors]

Hello. Damian, you really should use correct capitalization. Also, the possessive form is “its.” I assume you know that, but I point it out for those who may be confused. Also, “however” should be preceded by a semicolon and followed by a comma.

“The remote is in on the couch” is rather odd. I would not consider it grammatically correct or sensible, but I don’t know what is going on where you are. Maybe it’s part of some sort of dialect.

“The car is up in the driveway” sounds like informal English to me. I know what it means. “Up” is useless. “It rolled up under the couch.”

“The beer is over in the fridge” sounds odd, but “He’s over in the next town” doesn’t. Again, it’s quite informal and conversational, though.

There are times when double prepositions are correct or even necessary. “He was in on the conspiracy.” Of course that is idiomatic. “Off of” is hated, but it enjoys a fair amount of use in informal spoken American English.

When it comes to dialect where do we draw the line. Does grammar morph into what is predominately spoken in a culture?