"don't seem to" vs "seem not to"

Hi,

Please have a look at these sentences:

• People don’t seem to care much about their health.
  • People seem not to care much about their health.

=> Are these two sentences both correct, and do they mean the same?

Thank you very much.
Nessie.

They seem completely the same to me.

I suggest that the first version would be more common in the US.

Uhm… I wonder about the usage of the 2nd one in BrE, too, Barb. I can’t be sure if it’s correct but somehow I feel it’s not very natural to native speakers’ ears. :smiley:
Anyway, I really want to know ideas of a British :slight_smile:
By the way, have you ever heard: “to not do something”?

i.e:
1/

• She told me to not enter the house
  • She told me not to enter the house
    2/
  • He professes to not be ready for that.
  • He professes not to be ready for that.

(I remember coming across this usage in one of my listening material, but I can’t remember the context, so I wite these sentences myself :D)

There are a lot of people who will tell you never to split an infinitive – that is, not to put the words “not” (or “never,” etc.) bewteen “to” and the other part of the verb. I’m not one of them. I think it’s okay to say things like to boldly go, and to sometimes split.

There are other people who will tell you that saying “I said not to open the door” has a different meaning than “I said to not open the door.” You won’t find 100% agreement on this.

Thanks a lot, Barb :slight_smile:

As for “I said not to open the door” vs “I said to not open the door.”, I find these a bit strange. Do they mean this in direct speech: “I said: “Don’t open the door””?
If so, then “I said to open the door” is also correct? (direct speech: "I said: “Open the door!”), but this usage is really strange. Can it be used in formal English? :open_mouth:

Hi Nessie

In everyday speech, I’d say you’re far more likely to hear people use the verb ‘tell’ rather than ‘say’ when reporting a sentence (command) such as “Don’t open the door”. In other words: “I told you/him/her/them not to open the door”.

Thanks a lot, Amy :slight_smile:
I also think “tell” is more right (I am taught so :)) However I just want to know whether the use of “say” is acceptable in formal English.

Many thanks in advance.
Nessie. :slight_smile:

Yes

Does “I said not to open the door” conceive a certain amount of annoyed feeling?

I think it does :slight_smile:

By the way, “I said not to open the door” is right, but I still find “I said to open the door” a bit strange… Is it correct, too?
(We’ve been talking about the negative form only - I know I’m fussy but please give me a confirmation)

Thank you very much.
Nessie :slight_smile: