Don't all speak at once

Hello everyone,

In one scene in the movie Mission to Venice Michael uses the phrase “Don’t all speak at once”, but the context seems to be a bit strange to me. It is as follows. Michael explains to his friends how they are going to break into the house where he thinks John Trégard is being held. After he finishes, he asks his friends “How does it sound to you?”, but they are silent because they don’t like the plan at all and Mihael says, “Oh, well, don’t all speak at once.

Am I correct in thinking that Michael says that as an irony/sarcasm or have I misheard/misunderstood something?

The scene in question begins at 48.52 and the phrase in question is at 49.04.

Thank you.

Mission to Venice ( Agent Spécial à Venise ) - 1963 ( VO )

3 Likes

You’re right, it’s sarcasm.

He says “don’t all speak at once” when nobodies speaking at all.
He expects them to give him a response, but they aren’t .

3 Likes

Thank you, Arinker.

3 Likes

You can find some more sarcasms when nobody’s speaking. Click the following link: What is Sarcasm? And How To Stop It (scienceofpeople.com)

I’ve found the following on there:

1. “I love it when nobody speaks. It’s so much fun to be in a room full of people and not hear a single word. It’s like a silent disco, but without the music.”
  2. “I’m so glad nobody is speaking. I was worried that we might have to have a conversation or something. That would have been terrible.”
  3. “I’m sure everyone is just waiting for you to say something. You know, since you’re the life of the party and all.”

Just for your information.

P.S.: a silent disco sounds like an oxymoron, but it’s actually a party where the music is played through wireless headphones instead of speakers.

3 Likes

Thank you, Marc!

3 Likes

You’re welcome!

3 Likes