Do you think it’s better for us to study overseas?

This is my latest essay. I’m new here so I didn’t know that I’m supposed to post only one essay at a time. I’m extremely sorry for that. This time, I will only post my second essay until the first one has been corrected. Sorry, Mr.Kitos !

“The idea of going overseas for university is an exciting prospect for many people” Do you think it’s better for us to study overseas? State your own opinion.

Nowadays, there are many people studying university outside their home countries. In Vietnam, a lot of parents want their children to study abroad since the teaching and learning condition will be better and the students will also have a chance to learn a new language. But it’s a fact that not all of them have had thorough considerations about the advantages and disadvantages of it.

The first advantage of studying abroad would be the motivation to learn a new language or improve your existing knowledge. For instance, a lot of Vietnamese students tend to go and study university at English-speaking countries such as America, England or Australia. Living in a new country, whether studying or working, you are not able to speak your own mother tongue since hardly anyone would understand you. Therefore, you are forced to learn that country’s language. Consequently, studying abroad most quickly improves student’s skills in speaking new language as well as learning more of that language. Furthermore, studying overseas let you experience things that you have never had a chance to face before. Obviously, it gives you the opportunity to communicate with people who have different religions, different languages and different nationalities. Getting to know a new country where you are staying, seeing a different way of life and experiencing the way other people do things will definitely equip the student with large background knowledge. Moreover, the common reason for a student to choose a foreign country to study is gaining education as well as widening his/her knowledge. America and other developed countries are all well-known for their good learning and teaching conditions. Studying university overseas will also give an advantage to your later future as employers often seek for workers who have excellent diplomas and possibilities to work self-sufficiently also.

There is no doubt that studying abroad has various advantages, however, we can not dismiss the disadvantages. First of all, unless you get a scholarship, studying overseas will cost you a lot. The living and studying expenses can sometimes be over your head. Secondly, you may be far away from your family and your intimate friends for quite a long time. It can’t be denied that most students often feel homesick during their first days in a whole new country. However, in the modern world, transportation as well as communication between different countries has become much easier. Therefore, even though you are living apart from people who are close to you, you still can contact with them everyday via Internet or phone calls. Students will sometimes have cultural shocks, frustrating and painful experiences stemmed from living in a new environment. Furthermore, in the early days, students cannot avoid from difficulties in communicating as they’re still not good enough at the new language. But no matter what, I myself believe that the advantages of studying university abroad outweigh the disadvantages.

In summary, everything has its two sides: advantages and disadvantages. Having a chance to study abroad, we should try our best to overcome the difficulties and study well.

TOEFL listening lectures: A lecture from a social sciences class (3)

This is my latest essay. I’m new here so I didn’t know that I’m supposed to post only one essay at a time. I’m extremely sorry for that. This time, I will only post my second essay until the first one has been corrected. Sorry, Mr.Kitos !

“The idea of going overseas for university is an exciting prospect for many people” Do you think it’s better for us to study overseas? State your own opinion.

Nowadays, there are many people studying AT universitIES outside OF their home countries. In Vietnam, a lot of parents want their children to study abroad since the teaching and learning condition will be better(,) and the students will also have a chance to learn a new language. But IT IS a fact that not all of them have /had/GIVEN/ thorough considerations about the advantages and disadvantages of /it/DOING SO/.

The first advantage of studying abroad would be the motivation to learn a new language(,) or THE improvING OF your existing knowledge. For instance, a lot of Vietnamese students tend to go TO study AT university IN English-speaking countries such as America, England or Australia. Living in a new country, whether studying or working, you are not able to speak your own mother tongue(,) since hardly anyone would understand you. Therefore, you are forced to learn that country’s language. Consequently, studying abroad most quickly improves student’s skills in speaking THE new language SPOKEN THERE as well as learning more ABOUT that language. Furthermore, studying overseas ALLOWS you TO experience THOSE things that you have never had a chance to /face/ENCOUNTER/ before. Obviously, It gives you the opportunity to communicate with people who have different religions, different languages and different nationalities. Getting to know a new country where you are staying, seeing a different way of life and experiencing the way other people do things will definitely equip the student with A large background knowledge. Moreover, the common reason for a student to choose a foreign country to study is gaining education, as well as widening his/her knowledge. America and other developed countries are all well-known for their good learning and teaching conditions. Studying IN university overseas will also give an advantage to your later future PROSPECTS as employers often seek for workers who have excellent diplomas and /possibilities to work self-sufficiently also/.THE ABILITY TO WORK WITHOUT SUPERVISION.

There is no doubt that studying abroad has various advantages, however, we u [/u] LIGHTLY dismiss the disadvantages.
First of all, unless you /get/GAIN/ a scholarship, studying overseas will cost you a lot. The living and studying expenses ALONE can sometimes be over your head.
Secondly, you may be far away from your family and your intimate friends for quite a long time. It canNOT be denied that most students often feel homesick during their first days in a whole new country. However, in the modern world, transportation as well as communication between different countries, has become much easier(,) therefore, even though you are living apart from people who are close to you, you still can contact with them everyday via THE Internet or phone calls. Students will sometimes have cultural shocks, frustrating and painful experiences /stemmING/ARISING/ from living in a new environment. Furthermore, in the early days, students cannot avoid THE difficulties in communicating(,) as they ARE still not good enough at the new language. No matter what, I myself believe that the advantages of studying AT A university abroad outweigh the disadvantages.

In summary, everything has its two sides: advantages and disadvantages. Having a chance to study abroad, we should try our best to overcome the difficulties and study well.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Good morning Lenni. This was an excellent essay. Refrain from using contractions. It is a habit that is hard to break, so it is better that you begin to do so now. The TOEFL examiners do not like contractions.

Kitos. 8.5/10

Thank you Mr.Kitos. When I read your correction paper, I found out that I still used contractions in some places - which is NOT good. I will try my best to refrain from it! Have a nice day, sir! I’m so glad that you finally got my name right. It’s not Lennie - it’s Lenni without the “e”! :wink:

Mr Kitos, please take a look at my essay and correct it. Do you think it is a little bit long?

“You are planning to study abroad. What do you think you will like and dislike about this experience. Why?”

[color=indigo]Studying abroad is the target of many people nowadays. It is obviously a great chance to get an international degree and gain a brighter future; however it contains both positive and negative factors. In this writing, I will clearly explain what I like and dislike about this.

First of all, study in a foreign country means we have many chances to discover a new land as well as our strength. Far away from our hometown, there are a lot of beautiful sights seeing that we have never ever seen before. Some of them might be famous all over the world. With those who desire to take adventure, this is a great opportunity to satisfy their indulgence. Moreover, living abroad brings us the chance to understand others. In the history, there were many regret things happened between nations because we lacked understanding others. For example, when I was a baby, I did not like American due to memorize of war in Vietnamese’s mind. However, after half of year living with them, I realized they were so sweet, kind hearted and almost well educated. As a result, now I feel comfortable being friend with them. Without living here, I could not change my mind to love and be loved by them. In addition, living apart family means we will be more independent. We have to do things that we might never had to do before like cooking, washing dishes, go shopping or taking care of ourselves. Therefore, our life skills will be improved and it is obviously good for our future life also.

In the other hand, living without family and friends is what we may dislike most. In a place that has nothing familiar with us, the feeling of lonely always exists. Imagine those moments that we enjoy a beautiful sight or a delicious food; we often miss our parents, our best friends. But we are no longer to be with them. When having something to share, we have to keep it insight. Moreover, we have to deal with every problem mostly by our own. Pressure and stressful will be consequence for that. One of my closest friends experienced that situation when she was in French some years ago. She had to change her home to a cheaper room right before the final exams came. Unfortunately, she suddenly got sick. It was a really hard time that no one wanted to get in.

In conclusion, number of students studying overseas is increasing. Besides many new opportunities, they need to be well prepared to cope with difficulties when they live independent. All in all, I believe that this will be an unforgettable time with everybody. Enjoy it.

Mr Kitos, please take a look at my essay and correct it. Do you think it is a little bit long?

“You are planning to study abroad. What do you think you will like and dislike about this experience. Why?”

[color=indigo]Studying abroad is the target of many people nowadays. It is obviously a great chance to get an international degree and gain a brighter future; however it contains both positive and negative factors. In this writing, I will clearly explain what I like and dislike about this.

First of all, study in a foreign country means we have many chances to discover a new land as well as our /strengthS AND WEAKNESSES. Far away from our home-town, there are a lot of beautiful sights seeing that we have never ever seen before. Some of them might be famous all over the world. With those who desire to take SEEK adventure, this is a great opportunity to satisfy their indulgenceURGES. Moreover, living abroad brings us the chance to understand others. In the history, there were many regretFUL things THAT HAVE happened between nations because we lacked understanding others. For example, when I was a baby, I did not like America due to memoriES of THE war in Vietnamese’s mind. However, after /half of year/SEVERAL MONTHS OF/ living with them, I realized they were so sweet, kind hearted and almost THE MAJORITY WERE well educated. As a result, now I NOW feel comfortable being friendS with them. Without HAVING livED here, I PROBABLY WOULD NOT HAVE CHANGED could not change my mind to love and be loved by them.
In addition, l Living apart FROM ONES family means we will be more independent. We WILL have to do things that we might never HAVE had to do before like cooking, washing dishes, goING shopping or taking care of ourselves. Therefore, our life skills will be improved and it is obviously good for our future life also.

In
ON the other hand, living without family and friends is what we may dislike most. In a place that /has nothing familiar/IS UNFAMILIAR/ TO us, the feeling of lonelINESS always exists. Imagine those moments that we enjoy a beautiful sight or a delicious food; we STILL often miss our parents, our best friends(,) but we are no longer to be with them. When having something to share, we have to keep it insight BOTTLED UP INSIDE. Moreover, we have to deal with every problem mostly ON our own. Pressure and stress will be THE consequence OF that. One of my closest friends experienced that situation when she was in FRANCE some years ago. She had to change her home to a cheaper room right before HER final exams came. Unfortunately, she suddenly /got sick/BECAME ILL/. It was a really hard time FOR HER, A POSITION that no one WOULD WANT TO FIND THEMSELVES IN.wanted to get in.

In conclusion, THE number of students studying overseas is increasing. Besides finding many new opportunities, they need to be well prepared to cope with difficulties when they live independentLY. All in all, I believe that this will be an unforgettable time FOR THEM.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Good morning Sangthang. I don’t think it was too long. It was a good essay. Avoid informality in your work. Your closing comment (enjoy it) was informal:

Kitos. 8/10…Please remember to post your work as a “New topic.”
[/s]