Do you speak English?

I know that Pimsleur’s theory is very well-known and proved to be very practical for learning a foreign language,but I have also noticed that on Pimsleur’s Cantonese learning CD at least,the first sentence it teaches you to say is:do you speak English? Which I thought was the most useless thing one should learn to say,do you think? :smiley:

Hi Cooliegirly,

Why do you think it is useless for a foreigner to know how to say Do you speak English in Cantonese? For example, if a person who starts learning Cantonese from scratch travels to China it might be good if they find somebody who also speaks English.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: People with suitcases[YSaerTTEW443543]

Well, I understand Cooliegirly’s point of view: if the person you adress to in order to ask if he/she speaks English does speak English, it is the same if you ask it in English or in Cantonese. And if he/she does not speak English, what is the use in asking it in Cantonese?

Hi Carbonarius,

Now this discussion is getting interesting. Let’s say you travel to a region in China where Cantonese is spoken. Your knowledge of the language is very limited to say the least so you would be quite comfortable to find a person who understands some English as well. Now, if you approach a person in China by asking Do you speak English chances are you won’t get a positive response because speaking English requires a lot more practice than just understanding a few words. Now, if you ask that same question in Cantonese you might get a more positive response because you person you are approaching can respond in Cantonese which gives them time to analyze the question. They might say (in Cantonese) Well, I learned English at school but I’m afraid I don’t remember that much. So, you could at least establish some kind of rapport.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: A delivery truck[YSaerTTEW443543]

Well,I see your point.
But then you will really have to know enough Cantonese to be able to understand the complicated answer as well. :shock:

Hi Cooliegirly (how did you come with that name?). Nice to meet you! Where did you hear about the Pimsleur theory? What is it all about? How does it work? Thank you in advance!

Englishfan, I am intrested in second language acquisition that’s why I know about this Pimsleur Method. He is famous in the linguistics field and his method of learning foreign languages is mostly used in militaries. Well, it teaches you to learn the language by listening instead of starting with the phonetics. That’s also how babies learn their first languages.

I used a similar way to learn English. I listened to audio books every night before I fell asleep and I just left the CD player on the whole night. At first, I didn’t understand much of what was said in the book but after months of listening to the same stuff over and over again, I started to understand more and more, and this was like magic! I did that for like 10 books and now I could tell I’ve made hugh progress in my learning of English.

Hi [color=blue]cooliegirly…thanks for your simple explanation about the Pimsleur method of learning foreign languages…I understand the basic idea of this method…as you put an example…" [color=blue]That’s also how babies learn their first languages…"

Can you suggest me something or some websites [color=blue]to learn Chinese in this Pimsleur method…

[color=blue]Thank you for your kindness…

Hi cooliegirly

???

what you speak about :frowning:

Hi! I’m Ngoc Anh. I live in VietNam. My Work is nurse.

Hi

Lets me come back on my former congratulations for the wonderful job you are making
in the way of helping your site english learners.

But let me ask again a question on the kind of making the top 100 report. There are on the file the learners whose report are dated of 2008 and those whose are weak to be maintened for a long time. I just to understand

At end I have not solve the matter I have with the listening courses. Each time the sound is mute and I can use thise part of the site that I appreciate so well.

Bests Reagards

kevinzos from Burkina

Hey Trosten u know u r very good looking
well guide me to make a profile and i m sorry to interrupt your nice discussion form
waiting for ur reply

Talar du Engelska…
Sorry do you speak English?
Well I can make myself understood.
/Maria

ja, jag prada mycket bra svenska!

hey!
saber una lengua es un placer para cada uno

Boa tarde,
concordo com você, de fato é um prazer imesurável. Tão bom quanto comer, e como se estivesse namorando uma bela jovem. Paixão platônica.

lo mejor es hablar tres lenguas. Fonseca, um poeta :wink: the next language I want to learn, after english is german. Currently I cannot say at least one word. But as soon as possible I’ll be speaking it. :smiley: