Do you prefer traveling alone or traveling with a companion? Use details and examples to support your explanation

Traveling is the best way to touch with the world. People go on a journey either with themselves or with friends by different reasons. In my view, I prefer to travel with a companion because of the safety, the cost and the memory.

First, be secure and safe is the first priority when people travel abroad. Especially in some rural area, there are poor public security which people should stay at home at night. When we confront with the danger situations, like robbing or trafficking crash, friends can help us go through the difficult time and calm our intensive nerve down. During the Europe travel, I had a drunk man following and yelling at me with no reason. Until my friends gathered around me, he stopped scary behaviors. Therefore, more people, more power.

In addition, friends can share the cost and expense. People are inclined to try or buy anything new and special on abroad but our traveling funds are limited. In the Disneyland, the presents and meals they offer to the tourists are high expensive. Therefore, my friends shared the cost that is a financial burden to me. We had various cartoon combos and we collected a variety of balloons. Besides, the cost of accommodation is one of factors that increases our expense. While there are more friends traveling with us, we can host in the fancier hotel or Airbnb. We can have a nice sleep and gain energy for tomorrow’s schedules.

Lastly, traveling with friends can enhance the friendship. Although the trip to Seattle has been five years ago, my friends and I still have a lot to share and the conversation reminds us of laying on the grass in the Green lake and watching the view of city on the Space Needle. We are waiting our next trip together.

In summary, travelling with a companion makes us safe and less-stressed when crashing into the unexpected accidents. It helps us try different meals and sleeps well without limited funds. Also, our friendship can be intensified by constant small talks.

1 Like

Travelling is the best way to get in touch with the world. People go travelling either alone or with friends for different reasons. In my opinion, I prefer to travel with a companion because it is safer, costs less and is more memorable.

Firstly, safety is the number one priority when travelling abroad. Especially in some rural areas, public security is poor, so people should stay at home at night. When faced with dangerous situations, such as a robbery or a traffic accident, friends can help us get through the difficult time and calm our intense nerves. During a trip to Europe, I was chased by a drunk man who shouted at me for no reason. Only when my friends rallied around me did he stop acting scary. Therefore, more people, more power.

Also, friends can share the costs and expenses. When abroad, one would like to try or buy something new and special, but our travel budget is limited. At Disneyland, the gifts and meals they offer to tourists are very expensive. Therefore, my friends shared the cost which is a financial burden for me. We had different cartoon combinations and collected a variety of balloons. Besides, the cost of accommodation is one of the factors that increase our expenses. If more friends travel with us, we can stay in a better hotel or Airbnb. This way, we can sleep in and recharge our batteries for tomorrow’s activities.

Finally, travelling with friends can strengthen friendships. Although the trip to Seattle was five years ago, my friends and I still have a lot to talk about, and the conversations remind us of lying on the grass by Green Lake and looking at the view of the city from the Space Needle. We are already looking forward to our next trip together.

In summary, travelling in company gives us peace of mind and causes less stress when we get into unexpected accidents. It helps us to try different meals and we can sleep well without limited resources. Besides, our friendship can be intensified by constant small talk.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply! I learned "Only when S.+V…did/does/do S. +V…

2 Likes

Great service, Torsten!

1 Like

It is appreciable that you discern the grammatical aspects as well. However, let me add my two cents.

“Only when my friends rallied around me, did he stop acting scary.”

When a sentence begins or is begun with a negative or semi negative or a restrictive word (or a phrase), the subject - verb inversion will take place. Here the sentence begins with the restrictive adverb ‘only’.

That’s why it is ‘did he stop’ rather than ‘he stopped’.

Look at these examples:

He never tells lies. (Never does he tell lies.)

I hardly realized that I was mistaken. (Hardly did I realize that I was mistaken.)

1 Like

These examples let me gain a deeper understanding! Thank you so much :grinning:

2 Likes

Here is an alternative:

Introduction:
Traveling is a great way to explore new places, cultures, and people. However, when it comes to traveling, people have different preferences. Some prefer to travel alone while others like to have a companion. In my opinion, both solo travel and traveling with a companion have their advantages and disadvantages. In this essay, I will discuss my thoughts on whether I prefer traveling alone or with a companion.

Body Paragraph 1:
One of the advantages of traveling alone is that it provides an opportunity for self-discovery. When you travel alone, you have the freedom to choose your own itinerary, and you can take time to explore your interests without the need to compromise with anyone else. For example, I recently traveled alone to Europe, and I visited several museums and art galleries that I would have never seen if I had been traveling with someone else. Additionally, traveling alone allows you to be more independent and learn new skills, such as navigating unfamiliar transportation systems or negotiating with locals.

Body Paragraph 2:
On the other hand, traveling with a companion can be beneficial as well. One of the main advantages of traveling with a companion is that you can share your experiences with someone else. Traveling can be a lonely experience, and having a companion can make it more enjoyable. For example, when I traveled with my friend to Japan, we shared many unforgettable experiences, such as hiking to the top of Mount Fuji and trying traditional Japanese food. Additionally, having a companion can be helpful in situations such as getting lost or dealing with unexpected challenges.

Body Paragraph 3:
However, there are also some disadvantages to both solo travel and traveling with a companion. When you travel alone, you may miss out on the opportunity to make new friends and interact with locals. Conversely, traveling with a companion can sometimes lead to conflicts or disagreements over travel plans and activities.

Conclusion:
In conclusion, both solo travel and traveling with a companion have their pros and cons. Ultimately, the decision on whether to travel alone or with a companion depends on personal preferences, travel goals, and the type of trip one is planning. Personally, I enjoy both solo travel and traveling with a companion, depending on the situation.

1 Like

I’ve never heard of verb inversion before (that I remember). But as a native speaker I would automatically use that structure.

It always helps to simplify the sentence.
Only then did he stop.

The following works, but I can’t give a reason why.
Once my friends rallied around me, he stopped acting scary.

2 Likes