Do you like Stephen King

Hi everyone,
Do you like Stephen King?
I love his books. He writes the same way as people talk.
He’s easy to understand, and witty at the same time.
I still read his books in English although since I’m back home I could buy them in my language.
They translate him well but he’s just much funnier in English. Some people don’t like him because he writes horror and the movies they make by his books aren’t that good, but making movies is another kind of art.
It’s just like if you’d like to describe a painting by words.
No matter who made the painting or how good it is, if you’re a good talker your speach will be interesting.
His books just can’t be good on screen because the way of his writting. He’s going on for ten pages what the less important pizza delivery guy’s thinking about, and the guy’s not even on the movie. Noone can transfer everything into a one-and-a-half-our movie.
I don’t like his novels for the storys of them, I like his novels for the people he introduces in those stories.
In every single book I’ve read from him I found some parts I like to read over and over 'cause it’s amazing how he can make up so real people, their thoughts, their lives and send them on their ways until they show up in his next book for another ten pages.
If you’ve only read horror stories from him, and you didn’t like them, I advise to give him another chance and read “The Body” or the “Firestarter” so you’ll see what I like them for.
Spencer

Hi Spence

I’m a Stephen King fan, too. I guess I’ve read all of his books – some more than once.

You’re right. The movies are usually not even close to being as good as the books. Some of the movies are really disappointing – especially if you’ve already read the book.

So, which author do you like better: Stephen King or Richard Bachman? :wink:

Amy

I like him both :slight_smile: but non of the Bachman-stories are my favourites. I don’t like those bedtime stories though, you know those three or four books, I couldn’t even read them thoroughly.
Eventhough some of his books I know by heart :slight_smile:
Spencer

This is precisely what I like about Stephen King’s writing: all the little details that take us into the story as if we were part of the cast, and, much further than that, right through inside people’s minds. As you say, this is hard to convey in film. Maybe this is why it can be disappointing (though usually interesting) to watch films based on novels we’ve read. Still, I enjoyed films like The Shining or Carrie.

I was a huge Stephen King fan in the eighties, before his novels started getting a bit depressing and a touch too blood+y and fantastical for my liking.

Hi Conchita

The Shining was good in movie form. But I think it was Jack Nicholson who really brought that movie to life. In my opinion, Shelley Duvall’s acting in The Shining was “somewhat less than good” – which is really a shame. :frowning:

Sorry, I have asked this question before! :shock:

Don’t you find Stephen King a bit more difficult than other bestselling authors? When I read Sidney Sheldon, Herold Robbins, James Hadley Chase (by the way, what is your opinion about him?), Agatha Christei, to name but a few, I can be in any position, sitting or lying, but when I read Stephen King, I am only sitting, and come to think of it, sometimes standing! Conchita, I am sure you would be a student in early 80s. How did you find his writing at that time, difficult or easy?

Tom

P.S. If I am not mistaken, the correct pronunciation of his name is stee-van not stee-phan, as it seems?

Hi Tom

Yes, you’ve got the pronunciation of the name right. :smiley:

Amy

Don’t be so sure, Tom – I’m much older than you seem to think! :slight_smile:

Hi Spence!

My favourite stories by Stephen King are The Stand, Pet Cemetary and the Talisman.

What attracts me at this stories that he is able of taking some uncredible but existing possibilities and make you follow them by using common environment to a great final which might be possible.

Michael

Hi Michael,
I haven’t read the Talisman. Is it good?
What’s that about?
The other two you’ve mentioned, I like them, too.
My favourite book is a collection of short novels, the Different Seasons, with stories like The Body and Shawshank Redemption.
This book hasn’t been translated to my language.
I’m going to translate it under my own name and make a fortune 8)

If you can keep the secret you can come and sail on my boat I’ll buy :twisted:

Spencer

Hi Spence!

I?m not sure whether “the Talisman” is the right translation or the original title of that book. It is a tale about a young boy who?s father had had a movie-empire (before he died) and the boy?s mother is a famous movie-queen. The boy was the heir of the property and his uncle is the representative of the empire until the boy will be old enough to manage it himself. Well, the uncle, of course, is a bad man who tries to get the empire. As the boy?s mother understands that bad game, the uncle wants to poison the mother slowly. Now, the boy has to fetch something from somewhere far away and must always pay attention that his uncle don?t discover his trials. As it is dangerous for the boy to travel in this world an old coloured man shows the boy a way into another world (a parallel-world) which is much smaller than the real one. Every of the actors has a counterpart in the other world but not the boy, so that he is the only one who is able to change between the two worlds and to go through a distance in a shorter time. In that world the counterpart of his mother is a real queen and as the destenies of the counterparts depend on another. The other world is also a mystic one and as the boy has to rescue his mother and at the same time the queen which is treated by the counterpart of his uncle and that of another bad man he has to survive some exiting adventures. Well, pretty fantastic story, I think.

Hm… I?m able to keep an open secret but I don?t understand why you?re evil while buying a boat. :? Or have I missed something here?

Michael

Hi Michael,
That Talisman sounds really interesting to me.
That’ll be the next book I read.

I’ll buy a boat from the money I make by stealing King’s stories. If you keep the secret you’ll be my accessory.
We could be the most wanted criminals on Earth. :twisted:

Spencer

Hi Spence, my friend!

Yes, that is a pretty nice story! Also if you like some fantastic stories I like to recommend Ken Follet?s “pillars of the earth” and “the medicus” to you, too!

Sorry, I?m tired, today was a hard day but i enjoy talking to you soon

Michael

i used to like stephen king but i don’t like this most recent books. i like this books from the 80’s like dead zone, firestarters, it,…

HI all,
yes I like his book very much,for he always writes about reality of conditions,such as The Body, I like this book very much.

Hi medeya2012!

Can you, please, give a short report about your favourite book from Stephen King “The Body”?

Thanks in advance

Michael

Hi Fan of Arabian horses!

Of course, I can.This story is about Gordie and his three friends:Vern, Teddy, Chris.They are always ready for an adventure.So, when one boy, whom they know, dies out in the forest it is a chance to see something they have never see in their life:a dead body.They decide to go and find that dead body.For the four boy their jounney wil teach them as much about life as about death.As they face the danger on their way, they begin to learn what it is to grow up- and nothing will ever be the same for them again.Also, I like Gordie’s thoughts in this book and how his friend Chris gave him advice which could change Gordie’s future life.I read this book and found what is real friendship and how to differentiate real friends from others.

I’m sure you will like the book.

Hi medeya2012!

Thanks for your short discription of the book-content. I think, when my wife must order the next book from her book-club I?ll recommend her to offer this one.

Michael

I would like to know what are the two more significant literary works of Stephen King?

can you describe them? :smiley: