Do you know this word?

Words like fashion and pop songs have their ups and downs. A word out of the blue can suddenly become very popular and everyone starts using it and before you know what’s happening, you find yourself using it, too. And at the moment the number one word is the adjective ‘huge’, closely followed by the adverb ‘hugely’.

You don’t make a big mistake these days - you make a huge mistake,
You are not very grateful nowadays, - you are hugely grateful.
Have you seen other examples?

3 Likes

1 Like

I find myself using the word “dope” a lot these days. My American friend has a big influence on me :).

2 Likes

Hello Ann, welcome to our forum. Can you please give us an example of how you use the word ‘dope’ in context? Many thanks, Torsten

1 Like

I’ll chip in there if I may. ‘Dope’ for me can mean two or three things -

It could be a drug to use on horses to stop them winning races.
I remember as a young boy making model aeroplanes with balsa wood and paper. You painted the paper with dope to tighten and harden the paper.
And of course we used to use it when we described someone being stupid - after all one of the characters in the story of Snow White and the Seven Dwarves is called ‘dopey’ because he is very slow.
And just one more use in colloquial language - Give me the dope - meaning tell me briefly the main piece of information.

2 Likes

Interestingly enough I used to make aeroplane models with balsa wood and paper too. We too used to dope to to harden the wings that were covered with paper.

1 Like