Do you celebrate "Teacher's day" in your country?

Eventhough it’s too late, In Peru we celebrate “Teacher’s day” on July the 6th, Happy teachers day for all of you … One question.

Do you celebrate “Teacher’s day” in your countries?
And on which day?

Cris.

Hi Christina

There is a “National Teacher Day” in the US, too. It used to be in March. Now it’s on Tuesday in the first full week of May, so the actual date varies. You can’t just say that National Teacher Day is the first Tuesday in May because if the first Tuesday isn’t in a full week, then it doesn’t count. Complicated, isn’t it? :lol:

It’s a little bit like trying to figure out when our Thanksgiving holiday is. That’s always on the 4th Thursday in November. You can’t simply say that it’s the last Thursday in November, because November sometimes has 5 Thursdays. 8)

I can’t really tell you much else about Teacher Day in the US because I’ve been gone too long. But, what happens on Teacher’s Day in Peru?

Amy

Hey Guys,
On Teacher’s Day in my country we have a big celebration.
All the teachers get together, and have a good time. They drink a lot of beer, and sacrifice a goat to the Gods.
Sorry for the bad joke, we don’t have any Teacher’s Day and I tried to picture one myself.
Sounds fun though :slight_smile:
Spencer

Hey, it’s me again,
I’ve just been told we do have a Teacher’s Day,but no one really cares.
It must be a new thing,'cause I’ve never heard of it.
We have a lot of new celebrations, since we copy the states for some reason I don’t know.
By the way, why should we celebrate teachers, if we don’t celebrate miners.
Actually we don’t even have to go for jobs in this matter, 'cause we have name-days, so everyone can have some fun once in a year besides their birthday.
Do you have name-days in your country?
It’s nice, if you have a lot of friends there is always a reason to get drunk: regular celebrations,birthdays, name-days, mondays :slight_smile:
If you’re smart enough, you can drink to the names you like, and if you’re even smarter, you happened to like all of them.
Spencer

I’m only faintly aware that we have a Teacher’s Day, though I’m not sure when.

Like you, we celebrate our Name’s Day or Saint’s Day (santo). In fact, we are never short for reasons to celebrate, either – generally speaking, that is (I myself am not really one for partying). I like the idea of celebrating Mondays :slight_smile: . Wouldn’t it help to start the week on a good note! Do you also have unbirthday parties, like in Alice in Wonderland :slight_smile: ?

[color=red]REALLY? :shock:

My mother was a teacher, my brother was a teacher for a while, I am a teacher, I have taught thousands of education students in the US, and I’ve never heard in my life of the US having a National Teachers Day. I’m not doubting you, but I’m just amazed. Obviously, then, nobody does anything special on that day. People evidently don’t care about it.

About once a year, the big bookstore chains have discounts for teachers for a few days. They give the discounts to K-12 teachers, even though they make high salaries. They do not give the discounts to adjunct professors, even though they get very LOW pay.

Yes, Jamie, really. :lol: :lol: :lol: Isn’t there a “National Whatever Day” for everything in the US?

And evidently nothing has changed, then. :lol: The date must be the most “interesting” aspect. That changes every year. Maybe Spencer’s rendition of the festivities could be imported. (The goat one?)

By the way, your name day is right around the corner. Sounds like an opportunity. :idea:

Of course, in also mentioning Thanksgiving’s date, I certainly didn’t mean to insinuate that Thanksgiving isn’t fun and exciting. After all, in addition to the requisite family get together, turkey and pumpkin pie, there are all those wonderful football games on TV (one of the most fervently-looked-forward-to aspects of that day??? 8) )

Special note to Spencer:
There IS a “Miner’s Day” in West Virginia! Would that justify a teacher celebration there? :lol:

Amy

Hi!

When I was a schoolgirl and some time :slight_smile: after, Teacher’s Day in Russia used to be celebrated at the first Sunday of October.
At the last schoolday before the Sunday there were - flowers, flowers, flowers, lots of flowers in every school… people, schoolchildren with bunchs of autumnal flowers in the street…
Former graduates, some of whom are grey-headed themselves, also come to see and congratulate their old teachers. Very touching…

In 1994 it was decreed (by Russian government) to be celebrated at 5th October, and now it is called ‘International Teacher’s Day’ - with the reference to UNESCO.

Tamara

Speaking International (something) Day, I was always a little amused by the tradition in former communist countries of International Women’s Day. A lot of women I know who are big on women’s equality love the idea of this day, which to me is absurd. If women were equal, they wouldn’t need their own day. To me, a holiday like this is proof of women’s inequality in countries where it’s celebrated.

By the way, Tamara, a little fine tuning: You need to say, “on the first Sunday of October” and “on the last school day.”

Thank you, Jamie for the note.

Hopefully, my great respect to you will work and I’ll manage to overcome my permanent and sorrowful (but regretful!)) ) negligence :frowning: with those little ‘on / in / at’ in time expressions.

“…we usually use at for time of day, on for day, and in for greater units” :!:

I also found and find it funny: to fight for the special and official “Women’s day” - in particular,
and to claim that women have some group international interests, just because :slight_smile: -
in general (as is well known, this idea and the slogan is one of fundamental bricks of feminism).

But I’d like to note (just to make it a bit clear and concerning equality :slight_smile: ):
in the former USSR there were TWO main spring ‘special days’ – 23th February (Army Day - now it has a slightly different name) – that, in fact was (and is) celebrated as Men’s Day,
and 8th March (that, despite all jokes about its origin (international history) and rather strange subject of the celebration :), is not just formal and really is celebrated by most of Russians (of both sexes :slight_smile: ) at their homes.)

In our country Vietnam, the first teacher day was hold on November, 20th, 1958 and now continue being organized every year. In these days, pupils bring flowers and presents to their teachers. It is very beautiful that old pupils have chances to remember about the time they were in schools.

In the first time, this day was named “International Teacher Day” ( not National). It is said on wikipedia that this day has some relation to an french organization, named “F?d?ration Internationale Syndicale des Enseignants”.

Thanks for all your different answers on this topic,in my country we have different ways to celebrate Teacher’s day,usually your boss gives you a present as well as your students,your students prepare something special for you like a performance,sometimes all teacher’s with the principal,who pays everything,go to a good restaurant or go out to dance,and share their teaching experiences,some schools don’t work that day.
Cris
To Amy,I understand you,how difficult is to guess your teacher’s day as well as your Thanksgiving day, is like Mother’s day here the second Sunday of May or Father’s day the third Sunday of June.
To Spencer ,I laughed a lot with your goat joke :lol:
Cris

Hi Tamara,
It’s the same in our country. We have much in common with Russia. Russia helps us much. Teaching programmes are of Russian standard as well.In brief, analogies are too many to enumerate them. :smiley:

Hi Pamela

Last year was the first, when in Russia Единый Национальный тест (unified national test for school graduates) has been used.
Do your country uses (or is going to adopt) something the like (and more close to ‘West’ models)?

Hi Tamara,
We have introduced Единый Государственный Экзамен but it’s still not so popular, as for national, I’ve heard about it for the first time but it seems to be an innovation in Russia, so in our country it’s hardly can be introduced yet.

What is your country, Pamela?

Exactly the Republic of South Ossetia, Jamie(K)!

What motivated that area to declare its independence? Is there a language difference, or what?

What language difference? With what country do you mean?

I don’t know if there’s a language difference or not. I’m asking you. My question was why South Ossetia has declared its independence.