direct objects

1.They robbed me my watch.
2.They robbed me of my watch.
Some say the #1 sentence is wrong while the #2 is OK.
I couldn’t understand the reason.
Could you give me some more examples of this type?
Please explain with its relevant grammar.

Yep, 1 is wrong in my book, that’s the way “to rob” works. I guess it has something to do with direction - away from you. (compare: they gave me my watch)

Compare it with:
They robbed me of my money.
They deprived me of my freedom.
They stripped me of my rights.

Hi Allifathima,

There are transitive and intransitive verbs. Among the transitive verbs, some are monotransitive (i.e. they can take only ONE object, a direct object), and some are ditransitive (i.e. they can take two objects, a direct AND an indirect object).

The verb ‘rob’ is monotransitive.

A few more monotransitive verbs are buy, bite, break, and eat.
[color=darkblue]

[size=75]“I once thought I had mono for an entire year. It turned out I was just really bored.” ~ Wayne Campbell [/size]

This was combined from an annual mortgage payments of $12M, a student loan payments of $3M, an auto loan payments of $4M, and a credit card payments of $4M.

The above sentence with the article a/an. Did I use it correctly because I am not sure if the noun following the article is a noun complement or a plural noun, especially since the noun “payments” is plural.

Could someone please explain if it is correct or incorrect and why?

To me the noun following the article is a noun complement because the noun is a direct object. Not sure if I am correct in my assumptions.

Here’s how I’d put that:
This was a combination of annual mortgage payments of $12M, student loan payments of $3M, auto loan payments of $4M, and credit card payments of $4M.

No article because ‘payments’ is a plural noun.