differing views vs different views

1. Ben and I have widely differing views on this issue.
  2. Ben and I have widely different views on this issue.
    Is #2 correct? If it is possible, is there any difference in meaning between #1 and #2?

They are both possible and there is no difference in meaning.

‘different’ compares two things.
[color=indigo]He is wearing a different tie today. (different from the one he wore yesterday)

‘differing’ relates to more than one:
[color=indigo]The townsfolk had differing opinions as to why…( a lot of people, a lot of opinions)

Hence, the correct sentence would be:
[color=indigo]Ben and I have widely different views on this issue.

I don’t agree that such a distinction exists, but presumably you meant “more than two”?

(Edited) To clarify, I agree that if more than two things are being compared then “differing” is better, but not that “differing” cannot be used for two things, as in Screen’s original post.

Thank you Dozzy and Bazza!

Dozy,
“The townsfolk had differing opinions where to build the hospital.”
Is this sentence correct?

i would add "on"or “about” before where.

I grew up on the UPI stylebook, and neither it nor AP stylebook addresses this, nor do I know of any editor that has a burr up his bottom about which to use when. I don’t believe Smith, Perrin had anything to say about it, either.

Differing is the past participle of differ, while different is an honest-to-Pete adjective. I tend to use differing only with a modifier, such as narrowly-differing, or widely-differing, and use different the rest of the time, but as you have observed, not everyone concurs with my appraisal of the situation. Still, I don’t see any mobs gathering with fiery brands, pitchforks, and noose, so you can probably use either one safely.

Is it grammatically wrong to say :
“The townsfolk had differing opinions where to build the hospital.”?
Should I say only:
“The townsfolk had differing opinions about where to build the hospital.”?
Please comment.

You need to use ‘… about where …’ or ‘… as to where …’

Really?

Brain fart. It’s obviously the present participle of the verb “to differ”

Thank you for catching that.