Difference between till and untill

Tell me different between till and untill .

Till is simply slang for untill

From now till December.
From now untill December.

Same!

If you are being formal, it is better to always use untill.

There’s no such thing as “[color=red]untill”. And, “till” is actually the older word and not an abbreviation of “until”.

But it is true that “till” is more often found in the Spoken and in Fiction registers and “until” is more often found in the Academic and News registers. “Until” is also found more often at the beginning of sentences than is “till”.

You are totally correct. But we are talking about the use of “till” and “until” of today
and in today’s society “till” is seen by many as slang for “until” especially in business communication.

For those interested …

“Till” and “until” mean up to a point in time.
“Til” is actually the oldest word form of Till in Old English and means “to”

The addition of “un” to the word “til” I think was in 1280 ish. Maybe you can search for this time if you are interested.

With the addition of un to til = until, the meaning became “up to” From what I remember learning many moons ago, the story of till and until is very interesting.

Sorry aout the mistake in my spelling! I have now oiled my “l” button a bit.

I’m sorry, but that’s entirely incorrect, as Molly has pointed out.

Please see this:
bartleby.com/64/C003/0284.html

Beyond the business world you know and into the wider world.

Hardly examples of slang here. Does the cotext (not context) sound like slang in each of these extracts? Are the extracts informal in register?

“Till” over registers (search term: till.[pr*] ):

PER MIL

SPOKEN 127.5
FICTION 38.6
NEWSPAPER 8.1
ACADEMIC 7.3
MISC 13.2

corpus.byu.edu/bnc/x.asp

Mixed views:

TILL and Until: These two words mean exactly the same. TILL is more common in conversational English; UNTIL is used in both conversation and formal styles. Swan (1980:611)

In all varieties of writing till and until are interchangeable both as prepositions (wait till/until tomorrow) and as conjunctions (Wait till/until they get here). (Ebbitt & Ebbitt 1979: 283)

Till is a synonym for until, probably less common in the written language than until is. Till often has a literary or poetic effect. (Frank 1972:36)

Till and until are synonyms, used in subordinating clauses or as prepositions. They are used idiosyncratically by various writers (Di Hall Cane and Doyle use until preferably or even exclusively, while Hardy seems to use till only. (Jespersen 1970)

Till is not distinguished in meaning from until… (Ward 1993: 314-315)

english-test.net/forum/posti … t&p=108053

And from the same text:

So, are they synonyms or not?

And, more interesting:

chass.utoronto.ca/french/as- … 8/YT5.html