Difference between listen and hear (see vs watch vs look vs stare)

Hi Jsiwach

It’s my pleasure if I could help you in this matter but I want to share this knowledge with all my friends so they can also get benefit if anyone has confusion regarding these words.

so check below

[color=red][size=150]Definition of “look”[/size]

Example#.1

Look -to look at something for a reason, with an intention.

‘Look at that strange man.’
‘Look at the pictures I took on holiday.’

Example#.2

Look:When we see something intentionally, we look at it. So we look at something with a reason, with an intention. “look” has the central idea of paying attention to something or somebody.
[b] [i]e.g.: look at the plane in the sky. Can you see?

Why are you looking at me like this? [/b][/i]

[size=150][color=green]Definition of “See”[/size]

[color=green]Example#.1

See -to ‘see’ something that comes into our sight that we weren’t looking for.

‘Did you see that bird? – I wasn’t looking for it, it just appeared.
‘I saw you driving to work today.’[b]

Example#.2

See:[/b] Anyone who is not blind can see. So, to see means to perceive anything in general. Seeing is unintentional. It is not your intention to see something. You see because you can perceive that with your eyes. You have the ability.

[b]e.g.: [i]I saw the man climbing the tree.

When you reach the roundabout, you will see a park on the left. [/i][/b]

As people are able to see, they can see anything which comes in their sight. But when they want to pay attention to something or someone; or when we want them to pay their attention to something or someone, we say "look at the picture, the man, the bird, etc.

[color=blue][b][size=150]“Definition of Watch”[/size]
Example#.1

Watch-[/b] to look at something carefully, usually at something which is moving.

‘Watch TV’- the TV doesn’t move, but you watch the moving images carefully.
‘Watch here you are going! You almost stepped on my foot!’

Example#.2

Watch: when we look at something attentively that is moving, as if we are

searching for something, we actually “watch” it.

To watch something means to look at it moving with an intention to do so.

[i][b]e.g.: I wanted to see a movie. I am happy I am watching it.

Did you see the match?

“yes”, I watched the whole match. [/b][/i]

So when we see something, we keep it under our careful observation

[color=violet] Definition of Stare"

Stare:

to look for a long time with the eyes wide open, especially when surprised, frightened or thinking:
Don’t stare at people like that, it’s rude.

Chuck sat quietly for hours staring into the distance, thinking of what might have been.
During the press conference, each boxer tried to stare the other down/UK ALSO out (= force the other to look away by continual staring).

[color=darkblue][size=150]Difference between hear & listen[/size]

Listen is used to talk about or describe sounds that are being made around you and which you are making an active effort to focus on.

For example:

• Did you listen to the news last night on television?
• She was listening to music on her iPod when I walked in.
• Mike listened to his teacher and then repeated what she had said.
• ‘Just listen to yourself! You talk such rubbish!’, she said angrily.

Note
that ‘listen‘is nearly always followed by ‘to‘- you listen to some sound.
Just to repeat an important point; listening is active - that is you are making an active effort to listen to the sound.
Hear is used for sounds that come to our ears, but we do not, unlike listen, need to be actively engaged in trying to listen to the sound - it can just come to your ears!

For example:

• Mike heard a bang in the night which woke him up.
• She heard someone screaming and called the police.
• I heard a loud explosion and then the building collapsed.

Note: that ‘hear’ is not followed by ‘to’. But, to make it a little more complicated let’s look at this conversation:

• ‘Did you hear what I said’, asked John’s father.
• ‘No, I wasn’t listening‘, replied John.
• ‘Well, if you don’t listen you will never hear what I am telling you!’.

Now, that last sentence seems a little confused but also shows cleary how the two verbs are used - in this case, if John does not make an active effort to listen he will not hear his father’s advice (even if he may have heard sounds his father was making!)

Where hear and listen may seem very close is when you hear something like:

• Did you hear about Jane? She got married!
• I heard about the accident but I didn’t see it.

This is when information is passed to you from another source without you necessarily seeking it - in this case note that ‘hear’ is followed by ‘about’ - ‘to hear about’ something, someone or some action or event.
So, you can hear something without wanting to, but you can only listen to something intentionally.

[size=150]More Examples[/size]

We say 'Hear’ for sounds that come to our ears, maybe by chance, without trying to hear them. For example, ‘I heard a strange noise come from the kitchen.’

‘Listen’ is used to describe intentionally paying attention to sounds. For example, ‘Last night, I listened to the radio.’

In summary you can hear something without trying to, but you can only listen to something on purpose.

[b][i]A conversation between friends:

‘Did you hear what I said?’
‘No, sorry, I wasn’t listening.’ [/i][/b]

I hope this information is enough to remove your confusion but if you have still some confusion regarding hear & listen plz check the following link as Mr. Alan has explained it in very nicely.

Difference between listen and hear

wow