Difference between imply and infer

What is the difference between the word imply and infer regarding their meanings?

To imply and to infer can both have the meaning of ‘to hint’ or ‘to suggest’:
are you inferring that the policeman took brikes? He seems to be implying that we have made him lose money.

Now, to infer has the additional sense of ‘to deduce’: one can infer from his statement that he had ordered the attack himself.

Additional meaning of 'imply:
an implied agreement is an agreement which is not stated, but inderstood.

Hi,

Imply, infer: Opposite meaning.

Imply= Not say directly, only suggest.
Ex:
Her tone implied that her time and his patience were limited.

Infer = Come to the conclusion.
Ex: I inferred his displeasure from his absence.

Sometimes, “infer” has the meaning of “imply”, for example in newspaper, in speech, but personally, I don’t like that. I think it’s solecism.

Bye.
khanh

Hi,

Imply, infer: Opposite meaning.

Imply= Not say directly, only suggest.
Ex:
Her tone implied that her time and her patience were limited.

Infer = Come to the conclusion.
Ex: I inferred his displeasure from his absence.

Sometimes, “infer” has the meaning of “imply”, for example in newspaper, in speech, but personally, I don’t like that. I think it’s solecism.

Bye.
khanh
[/quote]

I think the note on usage that you can find in some of the online dictionaries is good:

[i]Usage Note: Infer is sometimes confused with imply, but the distinction is a useful one.

When we say that a speaker or sentence implies something, we mean that it is conveyed or suggested without being stated outright: “When the mayor said that she would not rule out a business tax increase, she implied (not inferred) that some taxes might be raised.”

Inference, on the other hand, is the activity performed by a reader or interpreter in drawing conclusions that are not explicit in what is said: “When the mayor said that she would not rule out a tax increase, we inferred that she had been consulting with some new financial advisers, since her old advisers were in favor of tax reductions.”[/i]