Didn't he/you just have enough to drink, Michael?

Hello everyone,

At the beginning of the movie Mission to Venice there is a scene that I don’t quite understand. I’ve re-watched it many times, but it still puzzles me a bit.

The film begins with a waterpolo match. Michael scores a goal ensuring a victory for his team and his teammates congratulate him by throwing him into the pool. After that they are all outside and someone asks/suggests “Shall we go have a drink?” and a bit later the dark-haired girl says (at 2.41) looking at the guy on the left, “Didn’t he/you just have enough to drink, Michael?”

What does she say: Didn’t he or didn’t you? Or something else?

And now what seems strange to me. At 2.34 the blonde-haired girl says addressing Michael, “When Henry dragged you down, I thought you never come up (again).” So it was definitely Michael who had enough to drink (because he was dragged underwater and he was also thrown into the pool after that), but the dark-haired girl, regardless of whether she says he or you, was talking about the guy on the left (who gets angry), which seems strange to me.

So I’d like to know what people here think: Does she says he or you and how the scene in question should be interpreted.

Thank you.

2 Likes

The ”he/you” is garbled, but has to be “you”,
Bearing in mind that this is dubbed in English from the original French there could easily be mistakes.
The idea here might be:
“Didn’t you just have enough to drink?” Then, asking Michael to protect her, “Michael! Michael!”

As for having enough to drink, it could be just for being in the water for a long time, rather than a specific incident.

I wouldn’t try to take away any fine points from this movie, either from the dialogue or the plot.

3 Likes

I must say this interpretation does make perfect sense.
Thank you, Arinker!

3 Likes