Did you hear that? vs Do you hear that?

In the situation when you are with someone and then you hear something, an unexpected sound which immediately occurs then you say to another person you’re with ‘[color=blue]Did you hear that’.
My question is why don’t we use ‘[color=blue]Do you hear that’.

Both are correct.

What’s the difference between them?

Hello Schwartz,

Generally speaking, “Did you hear that?” would be more appropriate if you want to refer to some kind of sound that you’ve just heard, and the sound is not audible now (i.e. you are referring to a noise that has ended).

“Do you hear that?” would be more appropriate if you can hear the sound as you are asking the question or possibly if it is some sort of series of the same sound (i.e. the sound you are referring to has not ended).

[color=darkblue]______________________
[size=84]“The sound of a kiss is not so loud as that of a cannon, but its echo lasts a great deal longer.” ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes[/size]

Hi Schwartz,

The ‘did you?’ ‘Do you?’ construction can apply generally for something finished (did you?) or something continuing (do you?).

Take for example my explanation - if I am half way through explaining something, I ask: Do you understand me? and if I have finished explaining something, I ask: Did you understand me?

Alan

Thank you very much.