Cutting humor

hello everybody,

do you read the news?
in the online version of scotsman you can find the following:

“Shrek 2 banned in Israel over its cutting humour
the article is about banning the hollywood blockbuster SHREK 2 from all isreali cinemas.

I’d like to ask you wether cutting is used to describe the relation between the joke in this movie (" … that implied he had been castrated") or is a cutting joke or cutting humor an independent expression?

many thanks

oh, and if you are intersted in reading the article in full length
please go to [url]http://news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=799662004[/url]

Hi !
That interestingly all my friends in Israel have seen Shreck2.
It is interesting ehough.
thanks

I’m not sure if you’re able or allowed to read that particular article because it’s necassary to sign in to The Scotsman to get full access so I’ll try to insert a picture.

I thinhk it is the reasonable decision.

Dear Naufragis,

How do you always come up with such interesting questions? As for your article — I think there is quite some ambiguity involved. Speaking of «cutting humour» you refer to remarks or jokes that might be funny to one party but painful to another — especially when you make fun of somebody. So, David Daor obviously has a very high-pichted voice (I must admit I missed parts of the Eurovision song contest) and I’m sure you can make the connection between «cutting humour» and an eunuch.
I’m quite surprised that Israelis dubb films, I thought the Germans were the only nation to engage in this type of thing?[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: A flower shop[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hebrew is an interesting language. All my friends from Tel-Aviv prefer to watch films in Hebrew.

Hi thinker,

So now we are learning more about you too :wink: Hebrew most certainly is an interesting language as is probably any language. Yet, why translate American films into all kinds of languages when most of the dialogues are rather simple? I’m sure your English is good enough to watch an American movie in its original version?[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: A protest march[YSaerTTEW443543]

You are right Torsten! But I prefer to watch films in Hebrew like my friends. I appreciate humour of Israilis, their songs.

Thinker,
This means the situation in Israel is similar to that in European countries: People would like to watch good films and listen to good songs in their own language but for some reason there don’t seem to be many available. What do you think is the reason for this? After all, you are our thinker :)[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: A large watermelon[YSaerTTEW443543]

torsten,

I just like to confuse myself that’s why I seek information in a wide strewed way - a big part of my work is about confusioning, misleading things …
I think it’s a very useful ability to confuse yourself because otherwise you won’t be able to discover new things …

thinker,

It seems to me you’re very well informed about Israel.
Is it difficult there to make jokes about castration?

many thanks

Of course, people would like to watch good films in their own language. Sometimes it is expensive for country to dub films. I know many films are being dubbed in kibutz.