Creating, translating and discussing sentences on Tatoeba

Below is a short conversation between Trang, a linguist and Internet enthusiast from France, and me. Tran created Tatoeba, a platform for people to have fun learning languages by writing new sentences and translating them. I wanted to know what motivates people to write sentences and share them with others, and here’s what Tran says:

Me: “How exactly does somebody come up with a sentence to contribute?”

Trang: By taking a random word and write down whatever sentence comes up to your mind that contains this word.
By thinking about about your day and create sentences based on what happened that day.
That’s just two possibilities. Everyone will have their own ways.

Me: “I mean there are billions if not trillions of sentences indexed on the internet. Why create even more?”

Trang: Because the point is not just to create sentences. The point is also to translate them, to discuss their linguistic properties, to organize them. And we bundle all this data into a package that can be reused for building language learning apps, for linguistic research, or for anything related to languages.

Tatoeba is one of the largest databases of example sentences provided by an open source community of language enthusiasts. Everyone has the right to download and reuse the database contains more than 10 million! entries and even the source code of the platform itself.

Here are some of the sentences I have contributed to Tatoeba:
“Solange es Menschen gibt, die sich aktiv für den Erhalt von Sprachen einsetzen, ist unsere Zivilisation nicht verlorgen und es gibt Hoffnung auf gesellschaftlichen Fortschritt, der sich von technologischer Innovation unterscheidet.”

“Die meisten Menschen denken nur äußerst selten darüber nach, welche Faktoren gesellschaftlichen Fortschritt beinflussen, da viel zu sehr von alltäglichen Nebensächlichkeiten abgelenkt sind.”

“Eigentlich wollte gestern Abend pünktlich Feierabend machen, aber kurz vor Schichtende kam plötzlich diese junge Frau in die Kanzlei und bat mich völlig aufgelöst um ihre Hilfe.”

Unser ganzes Leben lang müssen wir mehrmals täglich abwägen zwischen Gewinn und Risiko.

Ein Großteil unseres Einkommens ist nicht das Ergebnis unserer eigenen Anstrengungen, sondern eine Dividende unserer Gesellschaft - eine Dividende, die wir denjenigen vorenthalten, die keine solche Arbeit haben.

Doch wenn wir ehrlich sind, sollten diejenigen von uns, die einen guten Job haben, wahrscheinlich zugeben, dass wir ihn vor allem durch Glück und den Zufall unseres Geburtsortes haben.

My Tatoeba User Profile

1 Like