Course grades are based solely on exams or based more on class participation ?

This is the first time I have written an essay in the standard time - 30 minutes. I hope that it is … not very bad. I want to know how I can deal with this task with my now ability. So let’s be strict with my work. Thank you so much, Kitos !

Generally, there are many methods in evaluating students’ study. Some professors mainly rely on exams including middle and final term exams. Other professors base more on class participation than on exams. In my point of view, I prefer the second way because of some following reasons.

First and foremost, students’ participation in classes demonstrates their attitude to their study. A student who listens to the professor’s lecture carefully and joins all of classes is surely a hard student. They really put a high value on their study and attempt to gather knowledge as much as possible. With such attitude in the study, I think they deserve to have good grades regardless of how they do with the exams.

Secondly, grades based on class participation evaluate student’s knowledge and understanding more exactly than grades which are only solely based on the exams.
There is a variety of reasons which can affect the quality of an example. A lazy student may answer questions right because the night before the exam day, he luckily reviewed the lesson which the professor would use for making the prompt. Conversely, an industrious student may receive bad score because his has a problem with health in exam day. To avoid these situations, the professor should grade students’ performance throughout the semester.

Last but not least, grades which based on class participation will encourage student go to class regularly and study hard. When I was a student in university, I really liked a subject named Electronic 101. It was not due to that the nature of the subject was attractive; it was due to that the professor knew ways to motivate her students with extra points. According to her policy, if a student could answer her question in class, she would plus one extra point to the final exam grade. That was the reason why I attended the class frequently with the hope that I would answer some questions and would earn good grade.

In summary, evaluating student’s study through their performance on exams or mostly basing on student’s participation in classes is two popular methods in universities around the world. However, with my experience, I would like to vote the way - evaluating student’s study via his performance in classes. ( 373 words)

TOEFL listening discussions: What does an unlimited parking pass include?

1 Like

This is the first time I have written an essay in the standard time - 30 minutes. I hope that it is … not very bad. I want to know how I can deal with this task with my now ability. So let’s be strict with my work. Thank you so much, Kitos !

Generally, there are many methods in evaluating students’ study. Some professors mainly rely on exams including middle and final term exams. Other professors base more on class participation than on exams. FROM my point of view, I prefer the second way because of some following reasons.

First and foremost, students’ participation in classes demonstrates their attitude to their study. A student who listens to the professor’s lecture carefully and joins all of classes is surely a DILIGENT student. They really put a high value on their study and attempt to gather knowledge as much as possible. With such attitude TOWARD theIR studIES, I think they deserve to have good grades, regardless of how they do with the exams.

Secondly, grades based on class participation evaluate student’s knowledge and understanding more exactly than grades which are only solely based on the exams.
There is a variety of reasons which can affect the quality of an example. A lazy student may answer questions right because the night before the exam day, he luckily reviewed the lesson which the professor would use for making the prompt. Conversely, an industrious student may receive A bad score because HE has a problem with health in exam day. To avoid these situations, the professor should grade students’ performance throughout the semester.

Last but not least, grades THAT ARE based on class participation will encourage studentS TO go to class regularly and study hard. When I was a student in university, I really liked a subject named Electronic 101. It was not due to THE FACT that the nature of the subject was attractive; it was due to THE FACT that the professor knew ways to motivate her students with extra points. According to her policy, if a student could answer her question in class, she would plus one extra point to the final exam grade. That was the reason why I attended the class frequently with the hope that I would answer some questions and would earn A good grade.

In summary, evaluating student’s study through their performance on exams or mostly basing on student’s participation in classes ARE two popular methods in universities around the world. However, with my experience, I would like to vote this way - evaluating student’s study via his performance in classes.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Pretty good Sonia.

Kitos. 8/10

1 Like

In general, there are many methods to evaluate students’ studies. Some professors rely primarily on exams, including mid-term and end-of-semester exams. Other professors rely more on class participation than exams. In my opinion, I prefer the second method for the following reasons.

First and foremost, students’ participation in class shows their attitude toward their studies. A student who listens attentively to the professor’s lectures and attends all classes is certainly a diligent student. They really attach great importance to their studies and try to gather as much knowledge as possible. With such an attitude towards their studies, I think they deserve good grades regardless of how they perform in the exams.

Second, grades based on class participation more accurately assess students’ knowledge and understanding than grades based on exams alone.
There are a variety of reasons that can affect the quality of an example. A lazy student may answer the questions correctly because he or she reread the lesson the professor used to create the questions the night before the exam. Conversely, a diligent student may receive a poor grade because he or she has a health problem on the day of the exam. To avoid such situations, the professor should evaluate the student’s performance throughout the semester.

Last but not least, grades based on class participation will encourage students to go to class regularly and study hard. When I was in college, I really liked a subject called Electronics 101. This was not because the subject was so attractive, but because the professor knew how to motivate her students with extra credit. If a student could answer her question in class, they got an extra point on the final exam. This was the reason I attended class regularly, hoping to answer some questions and get a good grade.

In summary, evaluating studies based on exam performance or mainly on class attendance are two popular methods in universities around the world. However, based on my experience, I would like to vote for evaluating the study based on the performance in the classes.