Could you judge my accent and tell me how it sounds like? Any suggestions/pointers on it would be much appreciated! I am aiming for a modern RP accent.

Here’s the transcript: @EnglishwithLiz @Alan @Arinker @NearlyNapping @Anglophile @Masme

Herbert Spencer was a philosophe­r alive at the same time as Darwin. He published his famous book Social Static just a few years before Darwin brought out Origin. And he too thought that all social safety nets and aid for the poor should be scrapped. He supported what’s called ‘laissez faire,’ where you have a small government that doesn’t do a lot of regulation­s or interferen­ce cause they’ll only end up messing it up! Government­, he says, is a necessary ­evil at best! And Spencer was very influenced by Malthus. H­e kept a lot of the stuff about hard work being what you’re here to do and the brutality all being part of a grander plan but he wasn’t a Christian and he cut out all the religious stuff: “The poverty of the incapable, the distresses­ that come upon the imprudent, the starvation of the idle, and those shoulderin­gs aside of the weak by the strong… are the decrees of a large, far-seeing benevolenc­e.” So by the time we get to Spencer this idea that hard work is your lot in life has been secularise­d. With Malthus you have a miserable life of toil but maybe you get to go to Heaven afterwards­. With Spencer… "Nah, you have a miserable life of toil but markets and competitio­n and wars are ultimately good for society.”

4 Likes

Well, I think you’re accent is very British and very good.

2 Likes

I would say it’s splendid.

2 Likes

Well, yes it was a very fluent performance. For me it lacked a certain human warmth that made me feel I was listening to an automaton. Advice? I suggest you speak more slowly, introduce pauses and enjoy the words you speak so that the listener can engage in the topic.

4 Likes

thank you!

2 Likes

It is pretty good but u sound like Inidans.

1 Like