Could anyone help me with this question?

Hello everyone, I’m currently preparing for an English examination by doing some practice test materials. Here’s a problem that I can’t get to the bottom of it by myself. Could anyone kindly help me out? Thanks in advance.

Here’s transcript of the listening:

Here’s the question: Look at the list of aspects of campany culture in Getting started (the following options). For each of the speaks, decide which aspect of their company’s culture he/she mentions. Write one number by each speaker. You will not use all the numbers.
(Tip: The speakers talk about the subject without using the exact words in the list. You must look for clues in what they say to decide which is the correct answer.)

Options:
1 cut-throat
2 back up
3 get-togethers
4 sink or swim
5 red tape
6 publicy accountable
7 steamlining
8 dotcom
9 yardstick
10 rat race

The answer I gave is that: Candela (2, backup), Henry (5, red tape), Sonia (8,dotcome), Omar (10, rat tace).

While the answer key says that it should be: Candela (5, red tape), Henry (4, sink or swim), Sonia (7, streamlining), Omar (3, get-togethers).

I’m totally lost.

1 Like

Hi Duckula, welcome back. Where have you been for the past 8 months, we’ve really missed you. For starters please note that following phrase doesn’t exist in English:

Can you guess what’s wrong with it? As for the listening exercise, I agree with you, there obviously is something wrong with it and I suggest you use some our materials instead.

Best regards,
Torsten

1 Like

Hi Torsten. Thank you for the warm welcome and the reply. I wasn’t aware of that the phrase I wrote doesn’t exist in English. Can you tell me what’s wrong with it please?

I’ll visit this site more offen and make the best of it from now on. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Good morning Duckula, if you ask somebody to do something ‘kindly’ for you, you imply that the person usually doesn’t things kindly. To illustrate this better please take a look at the following sentence:

Could anyone quickly help me?

I’ve just replaced the adverb ‘kindly’ with ‘quickly’. If you do want to use the word ‘kind’ you could say the following:

Could anyone please be so kind and help me? or It would be very kind of you if you could help me. I think ‘help me out’ would be a little bit too strong in the given context.

To avoid all the confusion you could also simply say:

It would be great if anyone could help me please. This phrase is still polite enough to merit a response.

Please let me know if this makes sense.

Have a great day.

2 Likes

It’s crystal clear now. Many thanks, Torsten. Wish you a have a great day.

Hi.
@Duckula @Torsten

The word ‘kindly’ can mean different things.

• in a kind way (Jackie has very kindly offered to pay for the drinks)

• used when asking someone to do something, especially when you are annoyed with them but still want to be polite (You are kindly requested to leave the room.)

• in a generous, kind and caring way (She treated me kindly).

2 Likes

In the phrase ‘you are kindly requested to leave the room’ the party which is making the request is indicating that they are making the request kindly. It follows the same patterns as ‘We’d politely ask you to …’. This is perfectly fine and acceptable.

However, if you say ‘please kindly help me’ you are asking another person not only to help you but also to help you kindly which is not very polite. This way of using ‘kindly’ is very common amongst Indian speakers of English and it’s considered to be archaic.

2 Likes