Content plan January -- April 2023

Potential TOEIC Reading Comprehension Topics:

1. Our humanity: is it gone for good?
  2. At what point would we begin to hate technology?
  3. Air taxis: the future of short distant travel. https://www.rolandberger.com › Lo…Looking at the future of urban air mobility — Roland Berger
  4. Is there still hope in the fight against climate change?
  5. 5G and IoT, a Perfect Match.
  6. Effects of Air Pollution on Mental Health.
  7. The most underrated lucrative businesses.
  8. A chief breakthrough in technology: Bluetooth
  9. Is animal/specie extinction getting enough coverage?
  10. The application of technology in language learning. https://interestingengineering.com › …How Technology Has Revolutionized Language Learning - Interesting Engineering

Looking forward to your feedback. Thank you.

2 Likes

Hello Rachel, thanks a lot for taking the time to register on our forum and for sharing your ideas regarding your next exercises. All the topics you have listed are interesting and you can use them in your tests.
Ideally, every exercise you create covers a technology, company, product, concept or person our learners have already heard about. For example, most of our users will have heard or read the terms ‘AI’, ‘Alibaba’, ‘WeChat’ or ‘3D printing’. So, if we feature these topics our learners will not only improve their English but they will also learn some valuable information. After all, the vast majority of people are not just learning because they like the language itself so much.

My goal is to create an environment for us in which we all share ideas with each other and learn from each other. Instead of viewing us as competitors we see each other as team members. So, welcome aboard. We look forward to working with you. :grin:

1 Like

Hello @Donnyrachy1!
Welcome to the team :grinning::+1:

2 Likes

Hi everyone. Hope you all had a nice weekend.

@Torsten, I would like to submit topics for my next TOEIC texts. I was also hoping for some creative leeway to write 1-2 of the texts a bit differently from the traditional text model. Ideally, they would provide the same opportunity to test our readers’ comprehension levels with multiple choice questions and of course continue to deliver interesting content on “new technologies.”

Potential Texts Models:

-A fictitious electric company’s policy regarding surplus energy generated from homeowners’ solar panels and how they would benefit on their monthly utility bill.

-A made-up mobile service provider’s advertisement for its 5G network and the added benefits for customers.

-A conversation between a chatbot and user resolving a customer service issue or engaged in an online sale.

Let me know your thoughts on this. Otherwise, I can continue using the text model we’ve been submitting. Thank you :grin:

2 Likes

Hi Tim, I like your three proposals since variety is key. As you know, all the standard TOEIC materials are fictitious so it will be perfectly fine if, for a change, you too create some exercises that are fictitious as long as they are realistic. I especially like your proposal regarding the chatbot conversation because the amount and quality of chatbot communication will be constantly growing so I look forward to your new exercises.

1 Like

Hello @Andrea!
3D PRINTING Test and DRONES Test are online now :grinning:

2 Likes

Thanks @Natalia_Polteva :wink:

2 Likes

Hello Andrea, have you already tried to 3d print objects? By the way, is there such a verb - - ‘to 3d print’? And how about drones? Have you ever flown one? As for me, I once saw a 3d-printer in action at one of the schools I was working last summer. It was pretty impressive.

2 Likes

Hi Torsten, hope you’re well.

I saw a 3D printer when I was in the UK. At that time, it was a ‘wow’ experience. I haven’t seen one actually work yet. I’m sure it’s amazing to watch.

I’ve seen “to 3D print” in sentences but I think “3D printing” is more common.

I found this though so yes, you are right:

Drones, that’s an interesting one. My son has a quadcopter and he can fly it. It’s very sensitive so you have to be careful with it. I can’t remember if I have or not :thinking: - Oops.

When I was in the UK I had a flying lesson :wink: Yes, a plane! It was amazing, exciting and scary. I realised you have to steer the plane really slowly otherwise you will have trouble!!

1 Like

You mean you had a flying lesson for a real plane or a drone? I know that there are already is an entire licensing and training system for drone pilots so I guess you are talking about drones? As for 3D-printing I have recently read an article or seen a video about an American university which has been able to take 3D-printing to the next level of evolution at which it is possible to 3D-print almost any object or device of almost any size extremely quickly choosing from a variety of materials. They expext to for the technology to go mainstream within the next 18 months.

1 Like

@Torsten. Yes, a real plane! (Cessna) It was my husband’s idea to have a flying lesson each! I was a bit freaked out at first but went with it! We went to a flying school. I had a very cool pilot with me. :+1:

2 Likes

Hello @Donnyrachy1!
I’ve added your 10 TOEIC Listening Comprehension Tests
Our goal is to build a team of content creators and trainers which is quite a challenge since we can’t meet in person on a regular basis. So I hope you can continue sharing ideas with us. @Torsten will be in touch with you regarding your contract.

I think your texts and questions are very good :grinning: I have really enjoyed reading them!
And I hadn’t ever heard anything about effects of air pollution on mental health, maybe that is the reason why in big cities a lot of people are stressed out :frowning:

1 Like

More TOEIC Reading Comprehension Topics

1. An electric company’s policy regarding surplus energy generated from homeowners’ solar panels and how they would benefit on their monthly utility bill.
  2. A mobile service provider’s advertisement for its 5G network and the added benefits for customers.
  3. A conversation between a chatbot and user resolving a customer service issue or engaged in an online sale.
  4. Advantages and disadvantages of being a freelancer
  5. Entrepreneurs v. Freelancers
  6. Vertical Farming
    https://ruralmarketing.in/industry/agriculture/vertical-farming-securing-food-and-nutrition-for-growing-population
  7. 23 and Me (DNA collection and privacy implications)
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/genetic-testing-firm-is-first-to-create-a-drug-using-its-customers-dna-gckf5n0cl
  8. 3D Printing Homes
    SQ4D 3D prints 1,900 sq ft home in 48 hours - 3D Printing Industry
  9. Boston Dynamics Update (Robotics)
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2019/11/26/boston-dynamics-terrifying-robotic-dogs-have-been-put-work-by-least-one-police-agency/
  10. Crash Avoidance Technology
    Inexpensive Crash Avoidance Technology Could Prevent Tens Of Thousands Of Deaths and Serious Injuries In G20 Countries

Thanks in advance for any feedback! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Tim, the topics you have listed are excellent. Great combination of technology stories and societal change. The list could have been created by me :+1::grin:. So I look forward to your next batch of articles.

2 Likes

I will be sending my next batch of TOEIC texts (via Upwork) here shortly. Let me know what you think! :smiley:

2 Likes

Sure, we look forward to seeing them :joy::+1:. You can send them via email or share as a Google Doc: info at English dot best

1 Like

Hi @tim_m, Natalia has added your latest batch of TOEIC reading comprehension exercises and I would like to ask you and @Andrea to check them out. Please let us know what you think of the formatting. It’s great that Tim has added graphics since that’s closer to the original TOEIC format and adds an additional element of variety. On the other hand we need to make sure that the ads blend well with the content and don’t create any confusion or too much distraction. You can start browsing through the ten new pages by using the ‘next exercise’ button at the bottom of each page. Freelancing: How it’s Changed the Game | english.best

Many thanks.

3 Likes

Thanks for the update. The texts look good to me. I’ll be sure to keep your suggestions in mind when creating future texts. Of course, if any texts/graphics from Batch 2 seem too distracting or confusing, I’m happy to make changes to them :grin:

2 Likes

Great work, Tim :wink: I like the fact that you’ve added in graphics. :wink: It makes reading more interesting. :+1:

3 Likes

Hello Natalia, I’m back (after being ill for about 10 days (a great way to start the year, no?)) and much better, so I’m sending you two texts + questions. I’m going to send more tomorrow and on Wednesday. I wish @everyone a great year! Cheers!

2 Likes