consumerism pros and cons discussion

It is widely believed that consumerism is vital for the economic well-being of a country. However others feel that consumerism has unacceptable social consequences on a society. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.

In some people opinion, consumerism plays a critical role in economic development. On the other hand, critics believe it has unbearable outcomes on the society. Despite the importance of high consuming system on the market, I think its side-effects would be more harmful than its privileges.

Consumerism can have several positives impacts on business. Firstly, it leads to more productions which mean creating more working opportunities for job seekers. Secondly, market demands force companies to bring innovation to their manufacturing. For example, consumers can access cutting-edge technologies very quickly. Finally, consumers get benefits of high competition among different factories. For instance, the buyers will have various options for their required items with different quality and price ranges.

In spite of advantages of higher consumptions, it has some serious drawbacks. First of all, many companies downgrade their products’ quality in order to keep their competitive market, which means consumers cannot use their purchased items in long-term, and eventually the end-users suffer financially. In addition, consumerisms have been devastated to the ecosystem, and it causes pollution and wasting resources. Lastly, too much consumption has had negative cultural effects on our lives as well. As an example, people instead of repairing their belongings, they prefer to replace it, that it turns into a disaster when people use the same pattern in their relationships.

In conclusion, consumerism brings some benefits economically, and it causes financial growth in some countries. However, it brings long-term damages to the society including environmental contamination and cultural degradation. I believe that disadvantages of having high consumption consumers are more than its benefits.

TOEFL listening discussions: How many types of IMA passes are available?

Hi Arastoo, sorry for my delay. I was out of town last week. This is another excellent essay. You have addressed the prompt well and provided convincing arguments. Your writing is clear, but there are some word choices that could be improved and a few minor errors in grammar and article use. Please see my suggestions below:

Thanks a lot for correcting me. :slight_smile: