Concessions on prices?

What do you think of the use of the word ‘concessions’ instead of ‘discounts’ in the following context?

Price per person:

• Adult: 12.00 Euro
  • Concessions:* 10.00 Euro
  • Children up to the age of 14: 5,00 Euro
  • Children between the ages of 0 and 3: Free entry
  • Families (two adults, one child under 14): 25.00 Euro

Concessions (available for all tours):

• Disabled people (Carers go in for free)
  • Students
  • Trainees/Apprentices
  • Pensioners
  • ALG-II recipients
  • Leipzig-Pass holders

I mean, it’s the first time I have seen the word ‘concessions’ used that way.

2 Likes

I believe I’ve seen it used this way, but I think it was in Europe. Is it possible it is a term in German and the translator thought that the English term would be similar?

I looked at the on-line dictionaries, and it looks like the sense of giving a lower rate is in the more formal, contractual sense.

I looked at the web sites for The Met in NY and Le Lourve and neither uses the word discount, just giving the categories, such as “Seniors” and the price.

Discount would work if you need to use it.

1 Like

In German we use the noun ‘Rabatt’ which is similar to ‘rebate’.

Concession’ is some economic or other benefit allowed as a special case in terms of age or gender while ‘discount’ may be admissible to all regardless of age or gender.

Words like concessive and concessional are also found used.

1 Like

If I only read the first part, I would have assumed it meant ‘concessionaire’.

Concessionaire - the seller.
Concessions - the things being sold.

At something like a sporting event, the concessions would usually be food, drinks or possibly a few other things.

At a rock concert, T-shirts are a common concession sold by concessionaires.

At a tourist attraction, the concessions might be souvenirs.

The other use of concession is more like a compromise. For example, if two parties are haggling, one party may concede and agree to a lower price. In that case it results in a discount, but only as a result of haggling.

It doesn’t have to be about price. It can be any sort of compromise that results through negotiation. It is also used in debates or arguments.

" Concessions (available for all tours):"

This is not the result of negotiations, so I would not use the word concessions. It is a discount available to anyone who meets the criteria.

2 Likes