cold temperatures?

Can temperatures be really cold? I mean they can be either high or low. Air can be hot or cold but not temperatures. Of course you will hear ‘cold temperatures’ all the time, on weather forecasts and weather reports…[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: City Dwellings[YSaerTTEW443543]

I agree with you: temperatures are high or low, not hot or cold.

And yet you get 16 Million hits on ‘cold temperatures’ most of which are US newspapers or other resources.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: Old style transport[YSaerTTEW443543]

Yeah, it’s a common mistake. Well, maybe “mistake” is too strong, but it’s illogical thinking.

Here is my slightly related question. If something starts out at an extremely hot temperature and is cooling down towards a warm temperature, why can’t we say “it is getting warmer”? Since we cannot, is there any difference at all between “getting warmer” and “getting hotter”?

Hi T.J., so you agree that there can be ‘hot and cold temperatures’ ;-)?[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: On the river[YSaerTTEW443543]

I think hot and cold temperatures are fine. If you start thinking English always has to be logical, that’s when you start getting into trouble!

To me, “getting hotter” implies a higher current temperature.

This graph may be of interest:

books.google.com/ngrams/graph?co … moothing=3

I guess I should bow in shame to the wisdom of ngrams. The mighty Google hath spoken!