Close vs Closing & Stop vs Stopping

Hi,

“Closing your eyes and imagining the way things look and the way things feel is also part of our learning philosophy”. Right. Could I also say “Close your eyes and imagining…”.

Another similar situation: “If you’re tired of the Active Listening, try stopping the recording and doing some listen and repeat”. Well. Can I say “… try stop the recording and doing…”.

Thanks.

These are the questions of parallelisms that I identified though it looks at the first sentence, present participle’s presence,actually it is not,these are the gerunds only with parallelism.

However, a moderator may show you more lighting here.

Closing your eyes and imagining the way things look and the way things feel is also part of our learning philosophy.
Close your eyes and imagine the way things look and the way things feel. This is also part of our learning philosophy.

If you’re tired of the active listening exercise, try stopping the recording and doing some ‘listen and repeat’ exercises.
If you’re tired of the active listening exercise, stop the recording and do some ‘listen and repeat’ exercises.

In the first sentence “closing your eyes” and “imagining the way things look” are noun phrases, as they must be in order to be the subjects of the main verb “is”. “close your eyes” is not a noun phrase, and so is ungrammatical in that position.

“try stop” is ungrammatical. You can say “try to stop”, but it has a slightly different meaning from “try stopping”, suggesting that stopping the recording might be difficult to do, or that you might be unsuccessful, so it does not fit well here.

Hi Bev and Dozy,

Thanks a lot.

[b]

Hi Ms Dozzy,

Don’t we need here -are instead, ‘is’?

Best regards.

The ‘is’ refers to the whole single act of closing your eyes and imagining something. (It’s not a case of first close your eyes, then imagine how something looks then imagine how something feels. The three things are simultaneous and part of one action.)