Class where teachers lecture all the time or class where student so some talking?

Dear Mr Kitos!

Please help me to review my essay and tell me how can I improve it. Many thanks.

Some students like classes where teachers lecture (do all the talking in class). Other students prefer classes where the students do some of the talking. Which type of class do prefer?

Which classes do you like, a class that the teacher does all the talking, or a class that you- the students have chances to response to the lecture? This is a very interesting question since each person has his/her own answer for different reasons. Some who is inactive or some who is fresh student may prefer a class where he/she does not have to do anything but listening to the teacher. However, in my opinion, I strongly recommend the class where the interaction between students and teachers thrives. Following reasons and examples will strengthen my point of view.

First, the more the students get involved in discussions in classes, the more they understand the lectures. Needless to say, when some one becomes a part of something, they tend to pay more attention on that. For example, when someone decided to buy stock of a software company, they will spend time researching on software industry and the company they selected in particular. In the same way, when a student tries to argue something with the professor, he tends to listen to the professor more carefully. As he tries to collect as much information related to the discussing subject as he can, he will know more about that. Not to mention that the students, during the discussion, can find out the potential misunderstanding from his class then immediately resolve it.

Second, the moment when a student responses to the teacher is the time when he/she makes the lecture become more attractive, not only to the him/her self, but also to other students in the class. It has been proven that one-site communication easily leads to distraction. In the other words, in communicating, if one site keeps talking on and on, the other site, in response, frequently lost track of the discussion. Let’s take my philosophy class as an example. The teacher, in stead of taking some time to ask the students whether they still follow him, presumes that they have no questions and keeps talking all the time. As a result, the students get bored with his class and nobody wants to join it. On the other hand, in my literature class, the teacher enthusiastically asks questions and answers questions from her students. At first, only a few students tried talking in class, but now, everybody are ready to express their ideas and to join the discussion. Thus, we find the class very interesting and we are kind of looking for it every week.

Last but not least, when students join them selves to the lecture, they naturally become more active and enthusiastic to the subject of the class, leading to series of positive consequences in their study. To put an extension of this, my brother, in his early year at school, was not very interesting in English class. His teacher, who was a very patient and experienced teacher, tried so hard to induce him to speak English in class. She gave him a chance to talk about his favorite singer-Michicle Jackson in class. Since then, my brother has started to love studying English. He did not only ready to speak English in his class, but he also participated in international voluntary organizations to have more chances to speak English with foreigner. It is clearly that his English teacher has done a very great job, that she did not only teach him how to use English, but also inspired him to use English more often.

To put this in a nutshell, a class where students and teachers interact effectively with each other is an ideal one. The discussion helps students understand clearly about the lecture, cheers up the class room’s atmosphere and fires up their internal inducement of getting more knowledge. A teacher who want to make his/her lecture perfect, definitely should leave a room for discussion in class

TOEFL listening discussions: Why is the man taking this course?