Clarifying the Mentioned Time in the Question

Here is the conversation through phone messaging.

Kyle 2:42
Nancy, it’s Kyle. I‘m in conference room B setting up for the meeting at 5. The projector doesn‘t work. Can you search for another in the supply room?
Nancy 2:45
Hey. No problem. I‘m headed there now.
Kyle 2:46
Thanks, I really appreciate it.
Nancy 2:57
Kyle, there are no projectors here. I‘ve called the IT department and asked if they have any spare ones. I’ll get back to you when I get a reply.
Kyle 3:00
Thanks again. Oh and can you check for extra microphones?
Nancy 3:03
There are two here. I’ll take them both.
Meanwhile, the IT department says they don’t have extra projectors but they’ll send a guy down now to check what’s wrong. They say it worked fine at yesterday’s presentation.
Kyle 3:09
Great! I’ll see you soon then.

The question is “Where most likely is Nancy?”
(A) At a conference room
(B) At the IT department
(C) In the supply room
(D) In her office
The answer key is (C). I’m just a little confused about the time this question refers to. I’m pretty sure Nancy wasn’t in the supply room before 2:45. Is this question not clear or am I thinking about it too much?

1 Like

2:45 – Nancy is on here way to the supply room.
2:57 - 3:03 – Nancy is in the supply room.
3:03 – It implies that Nancy will go to the meeting room (conference room) soon.
3:09 – Six minutes later, Nancy has not arrived at the meeting room. But it does not indicate where she is.

You are right that the question is not completely clear. If it was not multiple choice and I had to answer with my own words, I would say that Nancy is on her way to the meeting room. However it doesn’t actually say that, it only implies it.

Out of those choices, I would probably pick C. It seems like the best choice.

Probably. But the person who wrote the question didn’t think about it enough to realize the question is vague.

It’s obvious that you understand the English. It seems like the writer concentrated too much on the English, and not enough on the logic.

2 Likes