Cheating in weighing

Hi, there’s a situation when a market seller weighed more fruits than asked (eg. 300 g instead of 200 g). Please could you help me find the proper expression? Maybe, he gave light/short weight?

2 Likes

Hi Irina, I don’t think there is a specific verb for it in English. As far as I know there isn’t a verb for it in Russian either or is there?

@Alan, what do you think?

2 Likes

Hi, Torsten, it’s possible to say ‘обвесить’ in Russian. For example, он обвесил меня на 100 грамм.

2 Likes

Hi Irina,

Not too sure where the cheating comes in. If you are charged the right price for the amount you wanted, surely there is no dishonesty? If on the other hand you only wanted 200 and we’re charged for 300, then the trader has ‘overcharged’ you. Does that make sense?

Alan

3 Likes

To me, обвесить means that the seller cheated me because he gave me less than he charged me for. As Alan says, the seller overcharged me.

2 Likes

But he is talking about the weight of the fruits, Torsten. The situation is, perhaps, when the seller weighs more than what is to be actually paid for, the buyer gets an undue benefit because of the incorrect amount of weight. Here it may be called excess weighment.
(It does not amount to cheating in any case since neither the seller nor the buyer appears to be conscious or desirous of the extra weight)

3 Likes

Thank you very much!

1 Like