Can you please grade this TOEFL writing task for the topic : It is more important to keep old friends than to make new friends

It is critically important as a social-being to establish close personal relationships, often referred to as ‘friends’ in order to enrich our life. Personally, I believe that one should maintain old friendships as long as possible rather than making new ones. I feel this way for two reasons, which I will explore in the following essay.

To begin with, friends with whom you have spent a considerable amount of time together provide you with a sense of comfort. They are an integral part of some of your most cherished moments in life. You feel more like yourself in their presence. They are the ones who know you in and out, and can make you do stuff that you previously never even imagined of. My personal experience is a compelling illustration for this. I am a very shy dancer, so it is impossible to make me dance in front of people I hardly know. But when I am out with some of my longest-known college friends, I don’t feel anxious or shy to groove on a beat.

Furthermore, in case of any emergencies you are more likely to contact an older friend for help. An older friend is more trustworthy than a newly acquainted friend, so in need of a crisis he is the first one to pop-up in your mind. For instance, after starting my new job, on the very first day, my car had a flat tire in the parking lot. My first instinct was to call my friend who lived far away from the office rather than contacting a colleague in the same building. So, even though I had to wait a longer time for help to arrive, I felt comfortable. This proves that we can often rely on friends whom we have known for a longer time.

In conclusion, I strongly believe that you should try to cherish and sustain old friends rather than making new ones. This is because they are like your personal security blanket, so you don’t even hesitate to share your secrets or personal desires. In addition, they make you feel safe, comfortable and can be of help times of need.

3 Likes

Hi, how about introducing yourself? I mean you come here and post a text titled ‘independent writing task’. I can’t see anything independent about the TOEFL nor do I understand what exactly you expect and from whom.

2 Likes

Hi Torsten, apologies for the confusion. An Independent Writing Task in TOEFL means it needs an essay containing the personal opinion from the Test-Taker.

2 Likes

I know what the so-called ‘independent writing task’ is and there is nothing independent about it at all. AI is more effective in churning out those essays than you will ever get so why compete?

Here is what I mean:

2 Likes