can you get good at it or you can get good at it?

Dear Torsten,
I’d like to thank you for your huge efforts , but please can we say : (( Speaking English requires a lot of practice and constant work. It’s similar to doing a sport: Only if you practise it on a regular basis, can you get good at it… )) or : you can get good at it ?
thanks

Hi,

I would suggest:

Speaking English requires a lot of practice and constant work. It’s similar to doing a sport: Only if you practise it on a regular basis, can you BECOME good at it.

Alan

Hello Memo,

To answer your actual question, no, you should not use the word order ‘you can get’ in that sentence. When a sentence begins with the phrase ‘Only if’, the word order in the [color=darkblue]main clause changes. The subject and verb in the [color=darkblue]main clause are inverted:

• Only if he resigns [color=darkblue]will I continue to work here. (NOT “I will continue”)

• Only if her identity is kept secret [color=darkblue]will she agree to provide us with information. (NOT “she will agree”)

[color=darkblue]__________________________________________________________________________________
[size=75]“Private victories precede public victories. You can’t invert that process any more than you can harvest a crop before you plant it.” ~ Stephen R. Covey[/size]

Hi Miss Yankee,
I thank you for understanding and I highly appriciate your nice response.
and many thanks to Mr.Alan.
Best regards