Can you explain for me the Mother's Day Proclamation

Hi,

I’m reading this passage and there are some parts I don’t understand. Can somebody please explain them for me?

1. What does baptism of fears mean?
  2. What does too tender of those of another country to allow mean?
  3. What does the sentence about blood mean?
  4. What does bearing after the impress of … mean?

Thanks a million!

Roughly…

1. That particular website seems to have some misquotes. Other sources state it as ‘whether our baptism be that of water or of tears!’
    mothersdaycelebration.com/mo … ation.html
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother’s_Day_Proclamation
    ‘Tears’ makes much more sense as it is akin to water anyway. Presumable she is referring to the tears shed by the grieving women.

2. You have split the phrase in the wrong place:
    ‘too tender of those of another country’ - we will consider with tender-heartedness (the sons of mothers in)the opposing countries.
    '… to allow our sons to be trained to injure theirs. ’ - (Because of our tender-heartedness) we will not approve of our sons being trained to fight and injure/kill the people of the opposing countries.

3. ‘Blood does not wipe our dishonor nor violence indicate possession.’ Our country is dishonoured by this war and violence, and the spilling of blood does not remove that dishonour. The use of violence to take control of any territory is not a true indication of possession of that territory.

4. “each bearing after their own time the sacred impress, not of Caesar, but of God.” Humans are figuratively described as having the mark or stamp of a ruler. If they fight and participate in this violence they will bear the mark of Caesar (a soldier ruler). If they work for peace the impress (stamp or mark) that they have will be the mark of God.