Can the comma next to "bleeding" be placed next to "and"?

The platelets are blood cells developed in the bone marrow to form clots to stop or prevent bleeding, and without them, the blood vessels can’t heal.

Can the comma next to “bleeding” be placed next to “and”?

Thanks.

3 Likes

By moving the comma we get:

The platelets are blood cells developed in the bone marrow to form clots to stop or prevent bleeding and, without them, the blood vessels can’t heal.

Your first version and the one you’ve already revised are both correct. The comma after ‘and’ provides a slight pause emphasizing the consequence. The original version creates a smoother flow between the two clauses with the absence of the commas. It’s just a matter of stylistics.

Hope this answers your question.

1 Like

Yes. I agree with you.
You may discern the difference by removing the phrase and reading the rest of the sentence.
You will then find that your version sounds better for comprehensibility.

1 Like

Hi, Lawrence, @Anglophile

What do you mean by leaving out the phrase? If you were to remove the phrase we’d get:
The platelets are blood cells developed in the bone marrow to form clots to stop or prevent bleeding and the blood vessels can’t heal. Is that what you mean?

1 Like

Yes. The phrase is very important. And placing the comma after ‘and’ confirms it.

This will clarify further: The platelets are blood cells developed in the bone marrow to form clots to stop or prevent bleeding, and the blood vessels can’t heal without them.

I hope I’m clear, Marc.

1 Like

Yes, crystal, crystal, crystal clear, my dear friend. It’s nice to see that you’re still here! :grinning:
Well, I’ll make it no secret, but you’re the one who mostly guides us and therefore, I’m always happy to see you. I also realise that I gave a lot of people, icluding you a very hard time. That was absolutely not my intention. I hope you’ll accept my apolozgies @Anglophile, @Torsten, @Arinker, @Kohyoongliat , @NearlyNapping @engcademy and to all the others who felt unhappy. To get the show back on the road… I can’t do it alone, so hopefully, they will all return. If you like - because I see that my ‘Tudor blog’ has been visited a lot of times- you’re more than welcome to join it. And again, I’m sorry for being so harsh.

1 Like

No, Marc. It was my (perhaps, our) pleasure to be given hard times!

1 Like

I only wanted to make clear that people make and are allowed to make mistakes, no matter how good you are at something. I mean, over here, university and higher-non-university leveled schooled people are expected, I think, never to make mistakes - at least some people are, including me, but this is unrealistic, because we’re human beings. For instance, there was this surgeon once and he failed to notice that I had two umbilica hernia’s, instead of one. And so, after a few days I noticed that and I went back to see him. I was very angry, even after he’d said: ‘O, I’m very sorry.’ So, it’s also very human too to get angry and only later realising that the man had indeed recognized that he’d overlooked something - and that I finally resigned to his unnecessary apologies. That’s why I somtimes have contempt for the word ‘perfect’. Joan Collins once said in one of her never-boring interviews: ‘Show me someone who’s never made a mistake and I’ll show you someone who hasn’t lived properly.’ How very true, because if you strive to live to the norms of perfection, you’ll notice that at a certain moment everything goes wrong and you feel very unhappy and frustrated. It’s not my intention to dominate this entire forum. Perhaps, I didn’t understand what you and the others wanted to make clear and vice versa.

1 Like