Can someone please explain these 2 contexts?

Hi, I’d like to know the difference in meaning when I use “few” and when I use “a few” in these two particular situations.

1.with" a few"

A: i’m trying every possible combination of 26-digit alphanumeric codes until this warquest lets me in.

B: won’t that take a few lifetimes?

A: no worse than some of the quest objective in the game.

1. with “few”

A: i’m trying every possible combination of 26-digit alphanumeric codes until this warquest lets me in.

B: won’t that take few lifetimes?

A: no worse than some of the quest objective in the game.

see for me i don’t find any difference in meaning but I’m sure there is.

thanks for your reply and I’m sorry if I posted my question twice, the first time it dissappeard.

In your sentence only ‘a few’ is correct.

‘few’ and ‘a few’ both mean not many and the decision whether to use ‘few’ or ‘a few’ may largely depend on the rules of grammar.

‘few’ emphasizes not many and is not infequently used with very. There are (very) few people who can speak 12 languages.

‘a few’ can also emphasize not many and is often used with only or just. There are (only) (just) a few people who can speak 12 languages.

On the other hand ‘a few’ can emphasize that there actually are some of whatever you are talking about. Therefore ‘a few’ is used in the positive sense. There actually are a few people who can speak twelve languages. Won’t that take a few lifetimes?

Hi,

It’s probably best to link a few/few with a little/little.

A few and few will be used with countable nouns. A few means a small number as in:

I have a few roses in my garden - suggesting not many/a small number.

I have few roses in my garden because the soil isn’t suitable - suggesting again that they aren’t many but I wish I had more.

A little and little are used with uncountable nouns as in:

I like a little milk in my coffee suggesting not much or a small quantity

There is little milk in this coffee - suggesting not much but I would like more milk in the coffee.

A

thanks for answering my question.