Can I retake just a section of TOEFL test?

Hi guys, I just took the test and I don’t feeling confident about my speaking section. Just in case i get low score on speaking, can i retake just speaking test and keep other scores the same or I have to do a whole exam again?
Any response is appreciated :slight_smile: thanks

TOEFL listening lectures: Why does the professor mention the weather at the beginning of his lecture?

1 Like

This is one of the strangest questions that I’ve ever heard.
Anyway, the answer is no. The TOEFL just score applicants holistically. You must retake another test if you need a higher score otherwise you may complain about your score in speaking section or writing section. Please notice that after complaining, there is a possibility that ETS even give you a lower score.

1 Like

I heard it from a friend of mine but not sure about it. Thanks for telling :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is the strangest answer that can possibly be.

To score applicants holistically, the 4 sections should be intertwined. Instead, you have disjointed tasks that have nothing to do with each other. If you would do each section independently, switch the order in which you take them, or take them on different days — nothing would change from an evaluation standpoint because they are just independently organized tasks. And the reason you cannot take only a specific section is for you to spend extra $$$ in case you screw up just one of them.

1 Like

All the existing testing systems including the ones provided by ETS, Cambridge, LCCI, IELTS, etc are no longer reflecting the current situation and don’t cover the skills needed by young people nowadays. Technology has evolved dramatically over the past few years while hierarchical organizations like ETS have been lagging behind. That’s why new systems are emerging one of which is the English test offered by Duolingo to name just one.

1 Like