Can "for" replace "towards'"?

The police have zero tolerance towards such acts of violence will not hesitate to take action against those who blatantly disregard the law," said Singapore Police Force.

Can “for” replace “towards”?

Thanks.

2 Likes

Hi K,

Yes, it can be replaced by ‘for’.

e.g.: The authorities have a policy of zero tolerance for violence and will not hesitate to take action against those who blatantly disregard the law.

Hope this helps you.

2 Likes

There is some difference between authorities and police. As regards a law and order situation, it is the police who wield more powers than the authorities. Though ‘towards’ may be replaced by ‘for’, why the nature of the sentence in question needs to be altered is not clear, Masme.

3 Likes

Hi Anglophile,

I just wanted to give another example.

I agree that you can say: "The police have zero tolerance for…’ however “the authorities” is group of people who have official legal power to enact laws and make people comply with them such as government departments - local or federal. So in a nuthsell: the government enacts laws and the police have to try and see to it that people comply with them. That’s what I meant with authorities.

Masme

3 Likes

Hi Miladh75,

Welcome to our forum. What exactly do you mean? I can’t make head nor tail of your post.

Masme

2 Likes

I think ‘tolerance for’ is an odd expression. To me it suggests an attitude or a feeling for something. ‘Towards’ makes better sense of conveying opposition to something.

3 Likes