Calling ahead to the gate

It didn’t matter if the connecting airline was late, or wrong in not calling ahead to the gate .

What does “call ahead” mean here?

3 Likes

Informing the gate that the airplane was being delayed.

5 Likes

What does “ahead” mean?

4 Likes

It means that that the airplane informs the gate while it’s still flying. Ahead means ‘prior to the landing’/‘in advance’.

6 Likes

As usual Torsten has given an exact explanation. I’ll just add something, which may be of use. We use ‘ahead’ in ordinary conversation in two ways. It can have the meaning of ‘in advance’ as indicated in the sentence above but it can also be used when you want to encourage someone to speak as in -

A. I wonder if I could make a suggestion.

B. Yes, certainly. Go ahead and tell me your idea.

Alan

4 Likes

Thank you very much for the kudos, Alan. It would be great if you could share more of your knowledge and ideas with our learners as they would greatly benefit from it. For the past few years our forum has become very quiet and I hope to restore its activity over the next months again. Your input would be a tremendous help and maybe @Andrea, @Anglophile, @RyanBell and @Natalia_Polteva and many others will join on in too.

2 Likes

I agree. If everyone of us posted at least one message here per day we would have a growing community again.

2 Likes