Break for diner or having diner...

Hi!

I?m interested to learn whether there is a special expression for having a break for diner or breakfast?

Short explanation: this week I had a test employment at a company. While I had a rest for diner I visited the forum on their PC. Though, is there an expression for that special rest at High Noon?

Michael

Hi Michael

Here are my comments about and answer to your question:

First of all dinner and diner are two different things. onelook.com/?w=diner&ls=a
Secondly, dinner generally does not take place at noon. Dinner is the evening meal. At noon you have lunch. That’s also a reason why the time around noon is also referred to as lunchtime. 8)

Now that we’ve clarified the terminology, yes, there is an expression for the break (not “rest”) from work you usually have around noon. You can call that your lunch break. :smiley: :wink:

You might also have a few additional (shorter) breaks during the workday. They can simply be called breaks. Sometimes they might be called coffee breaks. (But I suspect the Brits might prefer having “tea breaks”… ;))

Amy

Some people in Europe might also have ‘cigarette breaks’, at least until their governments introduce new anti-smoking laws similar to the ones in the US.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: Three cyclists[YSaerTTEW443543]

At our round -table discussions at my work we had breaks called coffee break though I used to say tea-break. :lol: These two expressions have penetrated into Russian language also and are called чай-брейк, кофе-брейк.

The word ‘diner’ always reminds me of an eighties film featuring Mickey Rourke, Sean Penn and Kevin Bacon.

‘Lunch hour’ is another term for the lunch break. An expression I like with ‘lunch’ is ‘ploughman’s lunch’: bread, cheese and pickles. Is it time for tea yet?

They often ‘stop for a cuppa’, too. :slight_smile:

Dinner can also be the main meal of the day and is sometimes eaten at noon in Britain. There is also ‘school dinner’, which is a meal served to children in school in the middle of the day.