bodyshell vs. body shell

Hi, can the word ‘body shell’ be uncountable or should the following sentence read ‘complete body shells’ or ‘the complete body shell’?

Tower has unique capabilities in complex body-in-white assemblies that constitute complete body shell of a vehicle.

TOEIC short conversations: A colleague asks how to submit vacation requests.

If it’s uncountable then we don’t have to use “the”, e.g. “i make money”, “she drinks milk”, “they constitute body shell”

Now, is it uncountable? First of all uncountable is something that we cannot count. We can count a shell as we see it in the oil company logo saying “that’s a shell”. But - and maybe that’s why we are using the epithet complete - if we want to talk on the substance of the shell or we see it as a function as protection (you can’t count protection, “they constitute protection”) then we will have to say that the sentence is correct.

Correct me if I’m wrong , but the thing that made me an impression is the grammar structure in your first sentence…

To put things a little more concisely than Ben… and to actually answer the question:
“Tower has unique capabilities in complex body-in-white assemblies that constitute the complete body shell of a vehicle.”

("… complete body shells of vehicles" is okay too if you need the plurals)

Um excuse me …

You should use bodyshell !

A compound noun of “body” and “shell” is “the shell of a body” and in this situation this is not what you mean!!

e.g. the door handle = “the handle of the door”

Many people confuse the fine-line when using compund nouns, even in dictionaries you will find “body and shell” as a compound noun in the automotive industry however, it is simply incorrect!!!

Rob
Test Preparation course for the TOEIC test.
http://www.onlineenglish900.com

Hi Rob, I think there is no difference between “body shell” and “bodyshell” just like there is no difference between “cell phone” and “cellphone”. As a matter of fact, you probably will find the spelling “body shell” more often than “bodyshell”.

Here are just a few examples:
Built at Harlow, Essex, the Solo features a composite body shell bonded to a steel underbody.

Rather like an Italianised Golf, with a very roomy galvanised body shell, wide-opening doors, comfortable ride and fair performance and economy.

Most vehicles have a chassis/frame number either stamped on or fixed to the body shell with a plate.

It has to do with the perfect fusion of many things: the refinement and effortless muscularity of the six-cylinder and V8 engines; the harmonious balance of the springing and damping; the flawless construction; the quality of interior appointments; the strength of the body shell; the grace of the body line.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, talks: Promoting a new center[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Torsten,

Cell phone = phone of a cell. In this case the cell is a tranceiver of a radio telephone network. All the cells connected together make the network and the telephone is a part of the system.

Therefore in the above, “cell phone” or “cellphone” is fine !

Now if we look at the situation of a vehicle; we must define the “body” because without clear definition we have no context and we can’t possibly know what is meant by the term “body”. Without knowling what is meant by “body”, we must use the term “bodyshell”.

If the “body” were defined as the whole car construction around which the thin metal “or bodywork” of the car is, then “body shell” would be correct as in the case of an egg. (the shell of the body)

Now moving back to your original sentence …

There is no context, no definition of what you mean by “body”, therefore, we must use the term “bodyshell”.

Rob

Hi Rob, so you are saying that in the following paragraph the word ‘body shell’ is spelled incorrectly?

Brand New British Motor Heritage Mk4 Injection Mini Body Shell, complete with bonnet, boot and doors finished in primer.

This has a slightly different floor pan and boot to the BMP0343 Mk4 shell.

This is a complete replacement body shell for Minis built approx between 1992-1997, although can be used when rebuilding a Mk3 on Mini.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, talks: Promoting the National Bike Week[YSaerTTEW443543]

Yes! without context yes!

Torsten, you can throw hundreds of those texts at me … however what I say is in my opinion correct!

Sorry!

Look here …

blackboard - not black board!
footstool - not foot stool!
armchair - not arm chair!
raincoat - not rain coat!
bodyshell - not body shell!

Rob!

mobile phone not ‘mobilphone’
pocket knife ‘not pocketnife’
easy chair not ‘easychair’
ice rink not ‘icerink’
golf club not ‘golfclub’
conference call not ‘conferencecall’
taxi driver not ‘taxidriver’
school teacher not ‘schoolteacher’

You are right, Rob. What you say is in your opinion correct. That’s what we call it an opinion ;-).

TOEIC listening, talks: Preparing an assessment of the museum facility

Hi, everyone! Today,while I was watching the movie, I heard the idiom:“that’s nuts”. Please, guys, could you explain me what does it mean?
If you also correct my letter, I’ll be very thanksful you!

Hi everyone,

Today, while I was watching a movie, I heard an idiom: “that’s nuts”. Would you please, guys, explain the meaning for me?
If you could also correct my errors, I would be very thankful to you!

A guy would explain: it means “that’s crazy”.