Blah blah blah

Hi,

Thought you might be interested in this piece of ‘English’ and I use the word loosely - from the person in the UK government who is responsible for education in schools -believe it or not!

[color=red]Well, yeah -right - ok - see what yer mean - ain’t it?

A

Hi Alan,

Are all these words called “insert words”? Are there more? And why do we use them?

It seems Britain may be just as plagued by jargon, buzzwords and “talking heads” as the US is.

That is a pretty awful example of “English”. And the source makes it all the more frightening. :shock:

Hi Yankee,

You said:

The English language is obviously changing. Why do you consider a particular variety of English awful?

Englishuser

Hi Englishuser, I think Amy wasn’t referring to ‘a particular variety of English’. She just said that this type of empty talk is rather useless and I agree with her.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: A lot of pollution[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi

Can I ask, whether in modern English ‘example’= ‘variety’?

Tamara

Hi Torsten,

I should have asked why Yankee thinks that a particular register (rather than variety) of English is rather awful. To use slang and informal English is surely all right - and even expected - in certain contexts.

Englishuser

Hi Tamara,

Without nitpicking I would suggest that ‘example’ is used here to indicate a particular illustration of this type of language.

A

Using/Use of slang is OK unless you’re a Schools Minister. As David Miliband is.

Thanks, Alan.

Hi Englishuser, if you were to sum up the text passage Alan has quoted, how would you do it? What are the key facts of that message?[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: A large machine[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Rosalisa,

My comment: ‘Well, yeah -right - ok - see what yer mean - ain’t it?’ was meant to be a bit of a joke and really to laugh at the way the text I quoted was said/written. Please don’t take it as good practice.

A

Hi Tamara,

You wrote:

Are you correcting me?

Englishuser

No.
I have no intention of correcting your English.
I just wasn’t sure whether to-infinitive could be used that way.
At least, in English I’m trying to learn.