bite his hand off

Hello all my teachers and friends;
Would you please tell me that it is necessary that we use exclamation point after set phrase like’ Bite his hand off’? Can you explain me about that?
With regard
Mitra

Hi Mitra,

The question really is whether what is written is intended to surprise/shock you. An expression like ‘bite his hand off’ doesn’t necessarily demand an exclamation mark on its own. But imagine a conversation like this where A is asking B what he should do and we are expecting an answer like ’ accept the offer’:

A What do you think I should do? Should I agree to the price he is offering me?

B Yes, bite his hand off!

The exclamation mark is an attempt in writing to suggest to the reader: You didn’t expect that, did you?

Alan

Hi,
I think there is no expression like this, maybe you mean “bite your head off” which means talk to smb angrily with no good reason:
I offered to help her, but she just bit my head off.
Nope! It is not necessary to use it.
Regards,
Morteza

Hi Morteza,

Yes, the expression does exist and means to accept someone’s offer immediately.

Alan

Hi Dear Alan,
Thanks a lot!

It is interesting for me to learn the British meaning of this expression. Where I come from, “bite his hand off” means to take something that is offered in a rude and aggressive manner.

Hi Expatcat,

There is also the suggestion of this -

• to me. You say ‘Where I come from’. May I ask: ask where do you come from?

Alan

I grew up in the Chicago area. I also lived many years in the Southeast where I learned just how diverse the “American English” languge can be!

(I thought I had my hometown listed on my profile, but I guess that is at a different forum.)

Dear Alan;
Thanks a lot for your attention and complete response.

Dear Morteza;
Thank you very much for your new expression and also your attention to response me.

Mitra, my dear compatriot!
You’re welcom.
Best regards,
Morteza

A new addition to my stock… thank you all…