"because" at the beginning

Hi, all! I’ve got a question :wink:

In the dialogue like this:

[i]Why did you go there?

Because I.[/i]…

I want to ask if we can start a sentence with because here?
I know that normally because is not used at the beginning of the sentence. But can we start with this word in colloquial speech?

Thanks!

Hello, Pamela!

I suppose so.

‘Because I was dying for I coke, I went there’

Let?s wait for the teachers’ replies.

Jes?s.

Sorry! I meant for “a coke” not “I coke”.

:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi Pamela

In conversation, beginning a response to a why question with “Because” is completely normal.

In a typical conversation you will never hear a response such as the following:

Q: Why did you buy Brand X instead of Brand Y?
A: I bought Brand X instead of Brand Y because Brand X was cheaper.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

In a normal conversation, people will begin the response with because:

Q: Why did you buy Brand X instead of Brand Y?
A: Because it was cheaper.
:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

It doesn’t matter whether the conversation is formal or informal. It’s simply standard for conversation. Repeating everything in the question before you finally get around to the answer would only sound strange or possibly sarcastic.

Amy

Thanks, Amy! I was sure of this answer! I’m of the same opinion, surely. I just placed this post only in order to convince my friend who was arguing with me that normally we cannot use because in such construction given above though I persistently tried to reconvince him but in vain. Now he sees that I was right! Expert’s explanation proved that! :wink:

Hi Amy

It reminds me of something very, very important! :roll:

I have seen teachers telling their students to write down the complete answers at the end of a comprehension passages- in a way, repeating the half question.

For example:

Question: Why did the king become upset?
Answer: The king became upset because…

I do not think in a formal piece of writing (also) there is anything wrong with starting the answer with because.

What would your advice be on this?

Tom

Hi Pamela

Aha! Now I understand. I did wonder why you asked the question. :smiley:

Hi Tom

I can imagine a teacher possibly drilling the forms of the simple past tense that way. (did+become vs became)

Starting the answer to a question with “Because” can happen in written English for the same reason as in a conversation, i.e., there is some sort of question posed in the text which is then immediately answered in the same text.

But I’d say this sort of Q+A happens less often in texts than in conversation. :wink:

Amy

Hi, Tom! The same situation happened with my friend. :smiley: His teacher assured him that he cannot start answering the question with because. :smiley:

Hi,

Dr Grammar would probably frown at the sentence starting with a conjunction like because. But (see!) in my book you can put the [color=red]Big Horse where you like as long as it makes sense.

Alan

The following sentence, which starts with “because”, was taken from the book “How to Prepare for the TOEIC Bridge Test” by Barron:

Because I don’t make enough money, I want a bigger salary.”[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: Table tennis[YSaerTTEW443543]