AS

Dear to whom may it concern,
I have some questions about this sentence. ‘Unaccustomed as he was to exercise Nicola quickly became tired’. It was one of the examples of ‘504 book’. What is the part of speech of [color=red]AS here and also why use [color=red]‘was to exercise?’Would you please analyze this sentence for me dear?
Regards
Mitra584

[quote=“Mitra584”]
Dear to whom may it concern,
I have some questions about this sentence. ‘Unaccustomed as he was to exercise Nicola quickly became tired’. It was one of the examples of ‘504 book’. What is the part of speech of [color=red]AS here and also why use [color=red]‘was to exercise?’Would you please analyze this sentence for me dear?
Regards
Mitra584

IMHO:

(1) It might be easier to analyze if we changed its order to:

Nicola quickly became tired as ( = because) he was

unaccustomed to exercise.

(2) Mr. Michael Swan in his beloved book gives this

example: Tired as she was, I decided not to disturb her.

(3) IMHO, this order is occasionally nice for elegant

writing, but I think that people would look at you

strangely if you went around speaking like that.

Respectfully yours,

James

Hi Mitra,

There is a standard expression and because it is so common that it has become amusing, used when someone gets up to make a speech, which goes as follows: Ladies and gentlemen, unaccustomed as I am, I would …

As has been pointed out, ii is am elegant expression and the word order is changed for effect. Otherwise it would be: As I am accustomed to this, I would nevertheless. …

Incidentally your example allegedly from the venerable Swan does sound a bit odd with the ‘she was’ followed by I decided ’

Alan

Dear James and Alan,
Please accept my apology for my slip of tongue. The correct sentence is 'Unaccustomed as [color=red] he was to exercise [color=red]Vic quickly became tired.
Thank you very much indeed for your all attention.
Regards
Mitra

Dear James,
What does IMHO mean?
Regards
Mitra

In My Humble Opinion.

I thank you.

James