As such

As such, many old women engaged in valiant acts, sometimes sacrificing their own lives, to defend those they had given life to.

What does “As such” mean?

Your sentence should have been: As such, many old women engaged in valiant acts, sometimes sacrifice their own lives to defend those they had given life to.

As such would relate to what you have already said, but it not clear here.

I disagree with the change that Anglophile proposed - in my opinion, the sentence is fine as it is.

Your sentence sounds out of context, I found the full context:

Here “as such” is akin to “because of the way things were”.
Here’s an example from idioms.thefreedictionary.com/as+such:
You are new to this job, and as such, I will have to train you.

The context makes things a jolly sight clearer but doesn’t ‘as such’ refer to the sort of women already referred to?

It seems that “as such” is used to avoid repetition of “as individuals and not potential sources of human life” / “not being potential sources of human life”, doesn’t it?

As [they were] such, many old women…

Yes, OTS, you have quoted the entire context and substantiated it. I think Alan also means the same. Well, that is precisely what I have said.

However, now, I suspect whether it should not be ‘engaged themselves’. Please examine.

I would agree with you, Cristina, that ‘as such’ refers to 'as individuals… ':
As such (that is, as individuals who have already reached the point where they are no longer considered to be potential sources for human life), many old women…

The text is correct, though not clearly expressed, in the original form.

It certainly does not require ‘engaged themselves’ as that would make no sense in the context.
I’m really not sure what ‘Well, that is precisely what I have said’ means, as it does not appear to relate to what has previously been said at all.

Beeesneees,

1. She is a lady and expects to be treated as such.
  2. All of you are users of AIS. As such, you should participate in its design.
  3. I have no boss as such, but I do have to answer to my clients.
  4. We were second-class citizens and they treated us as such.
    In all these examples, is ‘as such’ properly used or not?
    Thanks.

yes