Article about sentence structure

I thought this was a very informative and useful article in the New York Times. It is not too difficult to read and has a plethora of ideas for writing good sentences.

opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/20 … ef=opinion

TOEFL listening discussions: What is Dr Schmidt researching?

Thanks a lot Luschen :slight_smile: I think you are facing some troubles with essays full of sentence fragments, isn’t it? Well, Presidents and Vice-presidents aren’t better :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, it took me around 20 mins to finish the article! And encountered many vocabulary that I had to look them up! What do you think? Should I work more on my reading skills?

Finally, here is an “epitaph” that I didn’t get: “My parents should’ve kept their receipt.” What does it mean?

N.B. I didn’t get anything from Bush’s speech :stuck_out_tongue: Was it all to say that he figured out a way to get rid off chemical weapons? And doesn’t it implement that he was unsuccessful in an indirect way?

Here’s a hint - If you buy something and decide you don’t want it, you can only return it to the store and get your money back if you have your receipt. I don’t think I ever got anything from any speech from either Bush myself.

I already knew that hint :frowning: Still not able to catch the point :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

I think the epitaph is saying that the man was not a very good son, so his parents should have somehow returned him.

hehehe I should have noticed that! But guess what, his not immortal! He’s going to die (i.e., being returned) had he had the receipt or not! hahahahahahahahaha