Are you are TV or radio person?

Hi,

Do you believe in the power of radio/the wireless or do you prefer your words with pictures? Please read this short essay and come back to share your thoughts.

Are you are TV or radio person?
[size=75]http://www.english-test.net/stories/45/index.html[/size]

Alan

TV has been part of my everyday life since childhood, so I don’t have the same kind of “before and after” memories or experience.

However, one thing I’ve noticed is that a movie cannot compete with a good novel. I still recall going to see the movie Gone With the Wind at our local theater. Although watching the film was quite enjoyable, it wasn’t nearly as good (and vivid!) as reading the novel. I still clearly remember reading that book — and being a sobbing wreck for all of the final 50 pages or so. :lol:

Hi

I am a so-called ‘visual’ person (and learner). For better understanding I need to see/watch…

All what I just hear I forget (relatively) quickly – if don’t write it down. :frowning:

Anyway, I like reading much more than watching TV (The latter seems to me much more ‘passive’. In compare with.)
But I do watch it (and listen to the radio) - as it’s necessary.

When I’m at home I usually have CNN running in the background, for example, right now Bill Clinton is talking about how to fight poverty in the US and Africa in programme called The Poverty Trap.

When I’m in the car I listen to audio books, CD’s or tapes because this is an effective way of learning new information while being exposed to English.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between a student and a registration clerk during registration week[YSaerTTEW443543]

:lol:

Amy, do you know what price Victor Fleming had to pay to add this one word in his movie? I mean, damn.

Amy, what, in fact, really made you sob? :frowning: The accidental death of the daughter?

Tom

I know now. :lol: $5000 according to Wikipedia.

That “damn” sentence really became well-known. The “nicer” alternative sentence they wanted to put in the movie would have sounded lame: “Frankly, my dear, I really don’t care.” :shock: I think Victor made a good choice.

It wasn’t only Bonny’s death that had me weeping — it was everything put together. :cry:

Amy

OK!

Well, did you like V. Leigh? Compared to Hedy Lamarr, whom would you say was more beautiful and successful as an actress?

Tom

Hi Tom

Yes, I thought Vivien Leigh was perfect in that role.

Why don’t you tell me first what you think about the two actresses? (or should I say “actors” nowadays? :lol:)

Amy

When I am at home I am watching TV every day but when I am driving I prefer the radio.

When I’m writing on the computer to this forum,or e-mails,etc I prefer the radio, also when I doing householdchores, but when I finish my activities I prefer the TV but all my decisions concerning to radio or TV depends on my family,you know my son,daughter and husband,sometimes I would like to listen to the radio because I’m cleaning but if they want to watch TV we evaluate who deserves it and all of us make the desicion.
Cris. :wink:

I belive i can fly hehe.Radio is dead,but it can be useful if you want listen music and nothing else.

Mostly TV.
But it takes our hands and feet and brains out sometimes.
I prefer the radio when I have something else to do at the same time.

Well, after sitting in front of the PC monitor all day long who is going to sit again in front of a TV set…? From the beginning, radio news and programs have been my favorite pastimes.

Even now I prefer to listen news on internet radios or by downloading the regional news bulletins from All India Radio by their excellent ‘News on Phone’ (NOP) service…

Hi Allan
I’m clearly the radio type of person. And you will probably be astonished to hear that we don’t own a TV at home! This is a bit of a bore to our two boys, 9 and 11 years old, as you can imagine. All their friends and school mates talk about movies they have seen… So they have to stick to books and radio.

At least there are computers at home, so they can search the internet, look at DVD’s, and from time to time go round to our neighbour and watch the football game of the year on his superb screen, instead of just eves-dropping to his crying-out when his favorite team was successful or hear the silence when it was not.

So in the end, my whife and I are probably going to give in to our childrens whishes and buy a TV for Christmas this year.

One of the reasons why I refused the idea for so long, is that nowadays you deal with hundreds of channels worldwide. And there are a lot of programs that I really wouldn’t wish to be seen by children. Of course you can block them out - but isn’t that a dreadful developement for the worse?

We used to watch a good “Western” at saturday nights, or a thrilling documentary on lions or whales, when I was a teenager. Today, you either have to pay for it, or stay up till two o’clock in the morning to get a chance to watch it! That’s a pity.

Unfortunately, the shear number of broadcast companys competing for watchers in order to gain as much money as possible through advertising, has not led to better contents!

So we will have no joice but to try to protect our children from too much crime, sex and whatever else you are exposed to on screen - and guide them like all the other parents around us.

On the long run I hope they will be able to decide for themselves, what’ s worth looking and what’s rubbish. And maybe they will find out, that radio is as good as TV! Radio has to be interesting and can’t make something up with scary pictures!
Personally I hope that the books will win in the end!

Urs

Hi Mr. Alan

I’m a radio person. Because radio is not boring. I can hear radio in every where, such as, in the school, on the way home, under the tree, in the bus, or maybe in the office. Nowadays radio also can be accessed in the internet.

That’s my opinion :slight_smile:

guruh

Well Professor,

It’s said that learning is more quicker if you see and learn, and that’s what I believe in.

Hi, Alan,
I used to watch a lot of TV when I was a teenager, and it results in my short sighted eyes and a pair of heavy glasses I have to wear everyday. So, since high school, I haven’t spent much time on TV for almost 8 years, though sometimes exposed to the screen I would not get stunk in. The other reason I abandoned TV is that my parents got me a laptop, really a valuable present for me. Because you can get almost everything through internet, also I enjoy watching movies, listening to music, contacting friends on computer. I shift my attention from TV to my laptop from then on, and the TV set in my family has been nobody to me now.
Compared to TV, I much prefer to radio. I can do a lot things, such as writing, reading, inline skating and surfing on internet, in the same time as the radio is turned on. Furthermore, it’s a good way for me to practice English listening. VOA Special English and BBC broadcast are my favorite two channels. I especially enjoyed listening to English music when doing my laundry.
Nowadays, with the rapid development of the network technique, computer will service the most important role to extend our scope of knowledge about the world and make our highest fulfillment more available. Maybe we could start a new topic:
Do you prefer computer and internet or traditional media TV and radio?
Though internet is more and more popular with the teenagers and adults, TV and radio won’t give up their traditional dominance so easily.

Hello, Dear Team! :slight_smile:

After reading the article, I asked myself this question, and found out… That most of my time I use a computer, less time I listen to the radio, and doesnt watch TV regulary. What does it mean? Maybe Ive already transformed into a computer person? :wink: But in my childhood, from early morning till the late night, radio and only radio was sounded in our small flat. I still remember the story about the old house near the church, and the ghost, I was listening it when my mum was at work being completely alone in the dark dark room, no I wasn`t in the room at that moment I was in that old church with three children …it was so unspeakable and magical …

Im happy that Im here now :slight_smile:

Dina

I don’t spend much time watching TV or listening to radio.however ;I have to be a radio type !My mum is a radio type and she is into news .during eating our breakfast,lunch and dinner I listen to the radio,but not directly.my dear mum retell every news she has heard.sometimes it’s interesting ,but sometimes I just pretend that I’m listening to her.

I’d like to add my fondest childhood memory is related to radio,and I think most of people in my age in my country have the same idea.there was a program at 9 P.m. in which a woman sang a lullaby and told a story.I still listen to that lullaby and miss my childhood.