Are you a nitpicker?

Hi, I’m sure you have heard of ‘nitpickers’ – the type of people who think they have brilliant ideas when they are capable of nothing but finding fault with others. Well, read my story and let me know what category you fall into:

Are you a nitpicker?
[size=75]http://www.english-test.net/stories/42/index.html[/size]

Pedants of the world, UNTIE!

I hate to be nitpicky, but what exactly did you want the pedants to untie? :mrgreen:

Hi,

I think I have an inkling of what He he is on about namely that pedants should not unite but then that’s simply a surmise.

A

The origin of that post is an old high school friend’s t-shirt. On that shirt was printed, “Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!”

Tom, since this topic is about nitpicking (Alan, many thanks for that!), what about the correct spelling of “T-shirt”. Capital T or not? (or what?) I mean, Wikipedia says yes, so what do you say?[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: Floating cargo[YSaerTTEW443543]

i don’t know about that one… I suppose the capital t (T) makes sense since it resembles the shape of the shirt better than a small t does – the small t looks more like a turtleneck.

hehe

There’s at least one dictionary with the turtleneck spelling:
enchantedlearning.com/Tisfor.shtml

Google is full of both versions.
:lol:

yeah, I’ve actually never formed an opinion regarding whether T(t-)-shirt (lol) should be spelled with small- or upper-case T(t).

So this Great Decision, be it in favor of the small or the big, is not one that will affect my day.

(though – controlling for all other variables – I generally cheer for David to defeat Goliath. Go Little T!)

Hi Alan!

Don?t you think you?re nitpiking/fusspotting/pettifogging [size=75](By the way, pettifogging is my favourite expression)[/size] :slight_smile: ? I mean, you never would be able to achieve that range of vocabulary if you wouldn?t investigate your language or any else rather meticulous, wouldn?t you? And finally you never would be able to help us to improve our English skills.

So, no matter how strange expressions like “cheers” are for you, it?s anyway the same like putting in order the pencils at your writing table, isn?t it?

Michael

Hi Alan,

Are you a nitpicker?

I’ll try to put my things neatly & systematically so that I don’t have to waste

my time searching for it.But sometimes I failed to keep it tidy and my papers &

books are piling up on my table.When my sister came into my room, she

exclaimed," Oh dear!What a mess!"

Regards,
Lee

what is nitpicker???
i can not understand.
please say me in nitpicker

well let’s break it down:

nit – abbreviated form of Nittany Lion, Penn State University’s mascot.

“The Nits beat the Buckeyes last Saturday in Columbus.”

picker – one who picks

So the nearest literal translation must be something like this:

Nitpicker = One who picks the Penn State Nittany Lions.

hehe

Seriously, I always figured it was synonymous with words like “priss” and “pedant”… and the adjective “anal-retentive”.

I often see T/t-shirts referred to as ‘tees’ now anyway, so I suppose that’s a possible dodge to the T/t question.

Hi Alan! How are you?

I should confess, I am a little a nitpicker. I like my house and my things neat. I don’t like, for example, people in my kitchen, working with my stuff. I don’ like them opening my cupboard and replacing crockery untidily.
On the other hand, I try to respect people’s freedom to make their things how they like(in their kitchens, of course).
Alan, referring to your example of the genuine Van Gogh, I would like, after my friend gives his/her opinion and appreciates the picture and if the V. Gogh is hanging on crooked,to know (I couldn’t realize). After all, it is a VAN GOGH (prefect)!
Have a nice day and thank you very much!

Sandra - Brasil

Obs:- Why…There it is hanging on the wall … instead of, There it is hung on the wall?

Good morning Sandra.

It has been hung on the wall

It is now hanging on the wall.

Something to do with participles I believe. I prefer turnips myself. :slight_smile:

Kitos.

Good morning Kitos!

I didn’t know I could use participles in this way.
What did you want to say with:“I prefer turnips myself”? Is it an expression? I couldn’t find in my dictionary. I know, at least, turnips are that white vegetables that grow under the ground and that children don’t like a lot.
Ah! I remember now there is a pâté made with this vegetable that German like a lot. I don’t know if the correct name is “strong root”. Do you know what I am referring to?

Thank you very much

Sandra - Brasil

Sandra, :slight_smile: It was my weak attempt at humour. Please excuse me. :slight_smile:

Don’t worry Kitos.

Sandra