Are these sentences correct?

Hi all,

Thanks for your answers. You have helped me a lot in improving my English.

Are these sentences correct?

1. I took part in several research projects.
  2. I had heard about the excellent facilities at this college during high school, as it had been part (or a part?) of a student satellite project.
  3. I would be delighted to follow up with a MTech degree and take up a career in research.

Thanks

To me

1. I took part in several research projects.(Acceptable)
  2. During my high school I had heard about the excellent facilities at this college forming part of students’ satellite projects.
  3. I am delighted to pursue an M Tech degree course and take up a career in research.
  1. I took part in several research projects.
  2. I heard about the excellent facilities at this college during high school, as it had been (a) part of a student satellite project.
  3. I would be delighted to pursue a MTech degree and take up a career in research.

Two things here:

1. Is it an MTech or a MTech?
  2. Is it pursuing an MTech degree course or an MTech degree?

It depends on how you expect the sentence to be read aloud. I have seen both in use
Given that this is an application form, I would expect “a Master of Technology degree” to be used aloud (or in the head of) the person reading the application.

Hi Beesness,
Thanks for your answers.

For the second sentence, I would like to add “had” in the beginning as well, as the context requires that. Would that cause a grammatical error?

I had heard about the excellent facilities at this college during high school, as it had been (a) part of a student satellite project.

Should I add “a” in the above sentence?

This is also correct, right? (The context requires “follow up”)

I would be delighted to follow up with a MTech degree and take up a career in research.

Thanks

Why does it require ‘had’? That gives the sentence an entirely different meaning and indicates that you didn’t hear about the facilities while you were in HIgh School. It would also have to end differently:
Had I had heard about the excellent facilities at this college during high school, it would have been (a) part of a student satellite project.

Whether you add ‘a’ depends on how you see the nature of the project. Personally in most cases, I wouldn’t.

Again, what context requires ‘follow up’? It now appears that this is part of some exercise, in which case it would be far better to lay out the rules of the exercise.

Hi Beesnees,
Thanks.

If I rephrase it like this, would it be clear? I would like to add “had” because I am not in this college anymore, and I am trying to provide the reason why I chose the college. I mean, I am trying to recollect my past.

I chose this college because I had heard about the excellent facilities at this college during high school, as it was part of a student satellite project. Is that okay?

Now, the other one. Let’s say I am applying for a basic degree course like BS. I am trying to say that I might continue with a MS later on, or something like that.

I would be delighted to continue (or follow-up) with a MTech degree and take up a career in research.

Thanks a lot for your patience!!!

That’s just a justification of an error (may not be of ignorance, but of inadvertence), I’d say. We are looking at the written form of queries posted.

See a sample question for filling up the blanks with suitable articles:

He is ____ MP from a southern state.
She is ____ Member of Parliament from a northern state.

Though rarely, you have admitted your mistakes.

It’s not justification of an error at all. It is fact. Why on earth do you believe you can prove otherwise by using a completely different acronym?

goo.gl/IHLe1k

I always admit my mistakes when I make them. I cannot help it if it appears otherwise to you because you choose to believe I’m mistaken when I’m not.
In this case, however, perhaps you ought to look again, as you seem to see admittance of a mistake where there is not one. In fact, I insisted I was correct.

On the other hand, you rarely admit your mistakes, choosing to hide behind one of the phrases ‘Indian speakers use this’ or ‘we have to use the scholarly form’.

Hi beesneees,
You haven’t replied to my question.
Thanks

Sorry, Imsriram.
Those are OK. See earlier comments regarding the ‘M’ in ‘Master’.

You could always avoid the issue of which article to choose by rewording the sentences:
delighted to follow up with a Master of Technology degree
or
delighted to follow up with the degree of MTech

Maybe, rarely committing mistakes.

Mistaken notion, for more exposed to Indian speakers/users and more interested in formal usage.

Hi beesnees,

For the first sentence, using “was” was correct, right? I mean, it didn’t alter the intended meaning, right?
For the second sentence, should I use “follow up” or “continue”? Which one is better to use?

Thanks

If you rarely made mistakes, or passed on misconceptions, then I wouldn’t correct you so frequently. I don’t do it to irritate you and I take no pleasure in it, as it simply means I have to spend more time responding because you are a prolific poster.

Yes, right. Whatever you say.

If ‘was’ had been wrong, I would have said so.

I would not choose to use ‘continue’ as it could imply you have already started.
I would not choose to use ‘follow up’ either. I would probably use a phrase instead. Possibly:
‘furether expand my knowledge’.

Thanks,

So, this seems okay, right?

“I would be delighted to further expand my knowledge with a Master of Technology degree and take up a career in research”

Thanks

yes… except that taking up a career in research seems strange UNLESS you want a job as a researcher (not just to do research while studying.)

Hi Beesnees,

Thanks a lot for your quick replies. Can you comment on this sentence, if it can be rephrased in some other way?

I secured a good rank and earned the coveted admission into the prestigious MIT.

Or, can it be

I secured a good rank and got into the prestigious MIT.

Can it be rephrased in some other way?

Thanks

(In the link you suggested I find a different abbreviated form, i.e. MA)

Why don’t you take a look at this, as well?

Is it not CONFUSING, at least, to a foreign user like me?